it's the END OF THE YEAR, which means that it's time for self-indulgent lists! of best things and etc. no order, little ranking. for those that asked. here you go.
none of this is inclusive, and i'm sure i forgot stuff. i'll get the detritus out of the way first.things that weren't anywhere near as good as i hoped they would be:
* Castanets - City of Refuge
: what the fuck, ray raposa. really?
* the continued existence of post-Let Go era Nada Surf
* My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges: hard to follow up Z, i know.
* Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins: these songs were stand-insgood fun/whatev, at least for a while:
* Ratatat - LP3
* Crystal Stilts
- Alight of Night - reverb soaked fun; packed with almost too many good ideas for its own good. almost. super nice guys, too, did sound for them a couple months ago, they had the crowd dancin.
* No Kids - Come Into My House
- Happymatic: a hefty dose of under two-minute 'wheeeeeee!'
* Little Joy
- Little Joy: best release yet by a former member of The Strokes. sounds about, oh, 1958, in the best way possible.
* Beck - Modern Guilt: who knew? danger mouse, obv.
* Koen Holtkamp
- Field Rituals: super nice guy, super cool soundscapes.
* Dodos - Visiter
* Department of Eagles
- In Ear Parkreally good:
* M83 - Saturdays=Youth
- The Glowing Bird: not as killer as their debut, but still a great album.
* Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom
* Desolation Wilderness
- White Light Strobing: k recs/oly band. amazingly evocative, hazy album, really looking forward to the next record.
* Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Lie Down in the Light: i guess you sort of get spoiled after so many good albums, but that is not a complaint.
* Larkin Grimm
* Beach House - Devotion
* Bon Iver
- For Emma, Forever Ago: took me awhile. i actually hated this when i first heard it back in late spring; i live in the northwest, and at that point in the year you want nothing to do with depressing shit because you just went through a frigid wet sunless winter and all you want to do is think about the sun and being outside. revisiting this album in the wintertime changed my mind. fuck the autotune, though.
* Black Mountain - In the Future
* Chad Van Gaalen - Skelliconnection (2006)
- Kids Aflame
* Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum (2007): sort of forgotten about after the summer (and arguably a bit one-trick ponyish), but i sure did listen to the fuck out of this album for a few months. amazing:
* Chad Van Gaalen
- Soft Airplane: one of my favorite artists that i discovered this year, great album.
* Deerhunter - Microcastle
- Pride (2007): discovery of the year. don't know how i missed this last year, but i listened to this album constantly from the end of march onwards. one of the best things i've ever heard.
- Verbs: some of the best of the PDX.
* Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
- Aw Come Aw Wry (2005): really, i fucking love matthew houck, he's like an unhinged version of sam beam. if i had known that the south could still make music like this i probably wouldn't have left.
* Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP: song for song, a better album than the full-length. both were phenomenal.
* Peter and the Wolf
- Mellow Owl: warm stew and cuddle by the fire and this albumsome fav songs
* Peter and the Wolf - Supermellofied
* Chad Van Gaalen - Willow Tree
* Deerhunter - Nothing Ever Happened
* Phosphorescent - Wolves
* Bon Iver - Flume
* Arms - Shitty Little Disco
* Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant
* Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - For Every Field There's a Mole
: 'best use of clarinet' award
* Little Joy - Brand New Start
* Phosphorescent - I Am a Full Grown Man (I Will Lay in the Grass All Day)
i know it's mostly stupid indie rock. fuck off.
saw a bunch of amazing music, too... too much to mention/remember, actually, living in oly/norfwest spoils you pretty quick. started recording music, etc., doing live sound, other fun/amazing things... good times.
lots of phenomenal music this year, just like every year... if you aren't finding music that moves you, look harder.