Asking for recomendations

• Asking for recomendations

Anyone could gave me some hints about XX century quartets? I like the quartets of Schonberg, Ligeti (specially the second one) Shostakovich and the works by Webern. And, really, I had not warmed towards the Bartok ones. And, more or less, that is the extent I know.

So, any ideas?

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 17 2007, 12h22
    Henri Dutilleux - Ainsi la nuit (1976)

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 18 2007, 18h34
    Olivier Messiaen - Quartet for the end of Time, though it's not a string quartet

Editado por um usuário excluído em Ago 10 2007, 10h34
  • Thanks for the recommendations.

• If it's not too late, how about Britten's quartets?

• recommending Gorecki / asking Zemlinsky

I can recommend Gorecki's two string quartets(*). Kronos Quartet has an album devoted to them and that's a good recording.

Anyone listened to Zemlinsky's quartets? How do they sound like?

(*) I mean the first two. I don't know anything about the third quartet.

Editado por ankitruva em Ago 29 2008, 13h34
  • 20th century string quartets

If you enjoy the Shoenberg, Ligeti and Webern, there are plenty more that provide amazing listening. Dutilleux's Ainsi La Nuit (mentioned above) is spot on. Nancarrow is interesting. If you know his music for player piano, the string quartet no. 3 is a bit like that - sounds like it's being played by a robot on steroids that suddenly produces a luminous and pure beauty out of nothingness.
    Carter uses the form to do his usual thing - sometimes a bit too clever for its own good to my ears but sometimes quite riveting in its apparently mad chaos.
    Talking about mad, what about Scelsi? Someone said that listening to his music wasn't so much like hearing him describe his own mental breakdown as actually being inside it. There are (I think) four quartets. All pretty painful but very unique.
    Like you, I also find Bartok's quartets hard going at times but if you want something a bit different, how about Morton Feldman's String Quartet Number 2 - it's long (about six hours with no break), goes nowhere (or does it go somewhere completely new?) but seems to achieve something completely extraordinary. Makes me wonder if he's rewritten the rules about how music works, actually.
    Then there's Rihm and Schnittke etc but that's probably enough for now.
    Oh, but before I go, I can't sign off without mentioning the master himself: Xenakis. There are several pieces I know of for string quartet, including one called ST/4 and one called Tetras. He'll make yer ears bleed!

• Re: 20th century string quartets

DoktorRokk escribió:
    Like you, I also find Bartok's quartets hard going at times

I actually had kind of warmed to Bartok (at least the 3rd and the 6th).

I still can't find the Dutilleux, although the bits I had heard are interesting (to be precise, whenever I find it, it is with the Ravel and Debussy and I definitely do not like those).

I got, in the meantime, some quartets by Rihm and like some (5th and 8th, specially the 5th) but not others (the 3rd).

Anyway, I will continue exploring. At least, is a fun thing.

• rm508 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 24 2008, 17h32
    (he creeps into a dead forum, his footsteps echoing, and suggests:)

Villa-Lobos? His quartet cycle was a surprising discovery for me last year.

• BurakCC disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 24 2008, 17h57
    I don't have any opinion about Heitor Villa-Lobos.

• rm508 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 25 2008, 0h08
    Well the string quartets are a good place to start, rather than his better-known guitar music.

There's seventeen quartets dating from 1915 until the 50s, and obviously there's rough patches, but at their peak (say, after the 7th quartet) they're as innovative, complex and engaging as any string music written at the time. Highly recommended.

Editado por rm508 em Nov 13 2008, 22h56
  • Any recommendations as to recordings?

• rm508 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 25 2008, 11h42
    There's only two complete recordings: I got my hands on the Danubius Quartet recordings for Marco Polo (which is now out of print), but there's also a Latin American Quartet recording, rereleased on Brilliant Classics. Both, I've read, are of equally high quality.

The pick of the Danubius would be the disk with String Quartets 2 and 7.

• rm508 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 25 2008, 15h46
    In fact it's the Danubius that's available on iTunes.

• iTunes is out, but I'll look out for the CDs, thanks.

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.