Development on Rhythmbox to cease :(

• Development on Rhythmbox to cease :(

Rhythmbox will not be developed on after it's next 0.12 release according to the Rhythmbox development team.

In a mailing list message the dev-team said that although they hope to make a new release 'in the next month or so', after that there are no plans '...to do
    much new development work on the rhythmbox project as it currently
    exists.. [rhythmbox] is too much of a dead end to do more than that"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1078732
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2009-February/msg00023.html

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 19 2009, 10h12
    that's extremely sad. If i knew anything about programming in linux and had a bit more time I would definitely help out continuing development.

Rhythmbox is the best player for linux and i'd be very disappointed to see it disappear.

• dimkal disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 19 2009, 16h51

please digg

• rjrjr disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 20 2009, 2h21
    Well, that's unfortunate. However, I switched to Banshee and I'm really impressed. I recommend it to people looking for a good substitute. It also has video support.

• very sad

I've been using Rhythmbox since Ubuntu 4.10, but I have noticed very little improvement to the player of the last year and have been wondering myself if Banshee will replace it as a default music player.

Of course, Rhythmbox isn't actually a part of GNOME, so it's very possible.

Also, I'm looking for a way to import all my playlists and settings from Rhythmbox to Banshee if someone can help.

• rjrjr disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 24 2009, 23h11
    Well, the magic of open source is that a project being dropped by a developer doesn't mean it's going to die. It can always be picked up by someone else. I neglected to think of that. I didn't do any migration to Banshee, so I can't help you there. It's also kinda buggy for me, it relies on mono, which is also a minus in my opinion, I've gotten lots of random crashes that trace back to mono. I guess we'll see. I'm trying Banshee, but not uninstalling Rhythmbox any time soon.

• Usuário
    • Mar 26 2009, 15h00

that is sad news

Rhythmbox is my favorite media player, moving to banshee isn't an option, because then my ratings and play count don't transfer (have playlists based on that. Yes, I am a geek lol)

• Why "sad" ?

I don't see the point. Rhythmbox is finished. It just works. Why has there work to be done? There's no reason to switch to another player.

• ll

One thing that annoys me about Banshee is that it only scrobbles if you listen to 100% of the track - i prefer having it 50% (which rhythmbox uses).

• I guess I’ll switch to Songbird..

• Dibell disse...
    • Usuário
    • Abr 3 2009, 18h51

Re: Why "sad" ?

MadProgrammer said:
    I don't see the point. Rhythmbox is finished. It just works. Why has there work to be done? There's no reason to switch to another player.

I agree ! :)

• dfigu003 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Abr 6 2009, 0h45

Re: Re: Why "sad" ?

Dibell said:
    MadProgrammer said:

I agree ! :)

there is always the matter of it becoming obsolete or problems with dependencies.

this is bad news, since no other music player i've tried is gapless.
    anyone know a gapless player for at least ogg vorbis and mp3? aac would be nice as well and if it works with most formats (like foobar2000 in windows) i'd be in heaven.

• sojyujai disse...
    • Usuário
    • Abr 9 2009, 23h59
    That's bad news. From time to time I try the other audio players in Linux but I always go back to Rhythmbox.

The last time I tried Banshee it didn't support gapless playback or replaygain - both are essential for a music player as far as I'm concerned. I was really annoyed that the Banshee devs have started adding things like video playback while their audio playback, lacking gapless and replaygain, is broken. If anyone knows that they've added support for these please let me know.

I'm sure I'll stick with Rhythmbox for a while since it's still works just fine. But I guess I'll eventually have to start testing other players. For me Amarok is probably the best alternative (even on Gnome) but maybe time to take another look at Exaile or Songbird...

• Dibell disse...
    • Usuário
    • Abr 10 2009, 11h49
    sojyujai said:
    For me Amarok is probably the best alternative (even on Gnome) but maybe time to take another look at Exaile or Songbird...

Songbird is very good too (it has some nice plugins)- but it sometimes doesn't launch the GUI...i think it has some major bugs... :(
    I think Rhythmbox is still the very best player at the moment...apart from little scrobbling problems that could occour from time to time...

• Sad news, but MadProgrammer has a point.

Rhythmbox plugins are still working so I don't have to worry (for now). If they fail someday, I'll switch to recently-updated Listen.

• Banshee doesn't cut it.

I need a player that knows about networks. Amarok is too clunky, Rythmbox is the only one so far that does the job.

• Tom9729 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 26 2009, 21h23

Re: Re: Re: Why "sad" ?

dfigu003 said:
    there is always the matter of it becoming obsolete or problems with dependencies.

Well there is a difference between development and maintenance. Rhythmbox will probably endure for a while yet because right now there are no viable alternatives (Amarok uses Qt, Banshee uses Mono).

• Re: Why "sad" ?

MadProgrammer sagte:

idem.

• LONGACRE disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 29 2009, 10h18

Streaming URLs

I lost all my stream settings for RTE Radio1 in Ireland, when I updated to Ubuntu9.04.
    Can anyone help me out on this??
    Thanks

• xbonio disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 15 2009, 15h44
    I think there's no solution.

• zbrukas disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 21 2009, 12h47

sadsadsad

i like rhythmbox very much... but i've got admit songbird is getting a good development... still the 2nd best choice

• what's going to happen?

so which media player with be packaged with ubuntu after that?

• flow my tears

I just found rhythmbox a few weeks ago and I've never been happier with a media player, now this. What gives?

• Banshee will be packaged with Ubuntu 9.10

Very annoying. I also hate the fact that nothing but gtkpod can create ipod playlists -_-

• Usuário
    • Out 31 2009, 13h47
    hey guys.
    i'm a bit new on linux but i also think that rhythmbox is the best musicplayer on this platform. does anyone of you know a player that is at least a bit like rhythmbox?

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.