Progmetal and Classical?

• Progmetal and Classical?

These two are similar, if by progressive metal you mean the stuff with structure like Gorguts - Obscura. They both use narrative composition with an emphasis on melodic motif development.

As this thread

http://www.talkclassical.com/808-metal-neoclassical-music.html

indicates, others are seeing the similarity. The progressive rock of the 1970s borrowed heavily from classical music, and tried to fit it to the "new" jazz/rock technique.

Are any other metalheads out there classical listeners?

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 4 2008, 18h32
    yep... "now playing": Johann Sebastian Bach – (BWV 36 Schwingt Freudig euch empor) Aria: Auch mit gedämpften, schwachen Stimmen...
    i would be surprised if there weren't a lot more of us! :)

• I hope so. The two art forms go well together, as oddly does orthodox black metal...

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 11 2008, 8h47
    I generally don't like classical music except for a few romantic (Brahms, Berlioz, Debussy, Wagner) and neoromantic composers (Shore, Zimmer, Webber) Passed that classical music is just too rigid and structured, and lacks any significant emotion.

I also enjoy the musical philosophies of avant-garde composers like John Cage and Schoenburg.

Editado por um usuário excluído em Ago 2 2008, 7h59
  • yes.

but as someone previously stated it varies. I love canon for example, and i think that classic music is only good when it has some emotion or is exciting, i dont think it has to be slow or boring like much of it is (imo)

• Yes, I am!
    Don't know why, but Prog and Classical listening combines well, especially the romantic area of 'Claiical' muisc. ('The Moldau' from Smetana, Dvorak's 9th, Beethoven's 9th, Mahler... The greates instrumental works, indeed :D )

• Yes! Both lover of (prog)metal and (contemporary) classical music. :)

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.