• 1. C++

2. If it's something important, I'd use language that I know, but if it's not so important, I prefer the new language. It's always good to know something more ;)

You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe!
  • 1. Python, C, Perl, lisp, C++ in that order of preference. All under unix/linux of course. Vim is my editor of choice, though I've use emacs for long spells as well.

Programming languages frame the way I think about coding. I avoid Java because coding in it makes me overengineer everything. I dislike using PHP, though I'm forced to use it frequently at work - coding in it makes me think more sloppily and in a less structured manner. Fortran makes me think of program structure at a very basic level and makes it hard for me to work on complex, non-scientific problems, though it's terrifically fast and efficient for scientific programming.

2. It'd really depend on what the new task is, and what the standard was. If the standard language were open, with free and open source compilers, and was well-suited for the task, I'd jump at the opportunity to learn it. Lua, Haskell, and OCaml are at the top of my list right now.

• 1- Web - PHP + CSS / Else C++ (Really bad at it lol)

2- I would love to learn the new language but as i can get most everything i want done, done with php + css i don't feel the need to learn anything new. I would love to learn more C++ though.

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 7 2007, 1h09
    Java with Kate.
    VB.net
    SQL/SQL*Plus (Oracle)

• Usuário
    • Out 12 2007, 14h34
    1. C# for the moment
    2. Depends on the project - for big enterprise apps and web projects .NET is perfect, in some cases when performance is crucial C++ is much better, but I personally don't like it. May be I'll try to do everything in C#, and if it's really bad choice, I'll find someone to do it for me :)

• C, Java , Ruby, Haskell,C++,C#

depends on the problem

• LordMoq disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 16 2007, 22h09
    1. Java with NetBeans
    2. depends on the problem

... and then Buffy staked Edward. The End.
  • 1. Php for personal stuff and then python at work, but always working in vim!

2. I'll take the opportunity to learn a new language. When i started at my current job didn't know one line of python and now nearly 2 years on i struggle to not think in python. I'm currently starting to play round with some erlang.

It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are fucking morons
    • takbud disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 24 2007, 2h39
    Perl/PHP in (g)vIM
    trying to learn ruby and C.
    and of course, I use the only *real* OS... Linux.

http://www.efnet.org
    EFnet Oper: efnet.port80.se, efnet.portlane.se, irc.teksavvy.ca
    Quakenet Staff: irc.quakenet.org
  • Just learning Java, C++ in college now. Also a bit of Java Server Pages and HTML + CSS.

• kwalo disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 8 2008, 11h38
    1.When I want to have job done fast, I use Python, or shell. I also like to code in C, when I want to develop something fast and lightweight.

2. I'd try different language, if I was curious and had enough time to experiment. I'd also use some new language, if I was certain that it's perfect for a particular task. I.e. perl, if I knew that I had to use lots of regular expressions.

• 1. Mostly PHP, followed by Python, Gambas and Ruby (Note, RUBY not RUBY ON RAILS)... C++ and C for extending what has to be extended or if i have to write an extension (usually just wrap a pice of code into an extension) for PHP/Python... In databases (PostgreSQL) i stick with pl/PHP, pl/Python ;) besides that... nothing else i guess.... and about the environment, Unix OS's (Specially debian-based Like distros for servers, and *Kubuntu* for workstations)

2.- I'd probably write it in PHP or Python... then if i have time... will try to program it in a new language...

When it comes about programming, you are your own limit.

If the problem has a solution, worrying is pointless, in the end the problem will be solved. If the problem has no solution, there is no reason to worry, because it can't be solved.
    --
    I abomination, evil supreme
    I am the king of all kings
    I am religion, I am dominion
    I am the king of all kings!
  • 1. VB and C# (both .net), earlier C++ (don't use it anymore)

2. I'd do it in C#.

• 1. C++ that's my favourite language:)
    2. I would like to learn more Java :P

• 1. PHP / C++ depending on the task

2. What usually happens is i download something that's not really working, or it isn't really working the way i want it to, and i have to learn a new language to fix it. Usually works out pretty well :)

test, code, refactor.
    • revglim disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 19 2008, 12h59
    1. Common Lisp if I can, otherwise Python or Perl (generally on OpenBSD or FreeBSD

2. I would probably use a language that I already know if it fits the task

• Usuário
    • Fev 20 2008, 11h20
    1. C (extending / os apps), PHP prefered for web development, using gedit or nano (vim / emacs slacker) on *nix, e on win32.

2. Probably C, to extend my knowledge in it. Wouldn't mind giving Common Lisp a go, or Haskell, there syntax just rules!

• 1. PHP, MySQL, CSS and Javascript. Also a bit Java.

2. I think I would choose PHP if it is appropriate for the job. But I still want to extend my Java knownlegde.

• blue-dev disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 23 2008, 14h17
    1. (Of course) PHP, with Zend Studio as IDE, C++ with Eclipse and Perl with Geany (also used during long PHP sessions because of KISS).

2. I would rather try to learn a new language (maybe Java, or Ruby).

• 1. Python, except for web interfaces, where I have to use Java. And if performance really matters, good old plain C or C++. And I'd like to see a Python implementation right inside the Oracle database as an alternative to PL/SQL and Java. Perl sucks with all these cryptic symbols. It may be terse, but for a newbie (to perl, not to programming) a perl program is nearly unreadable. And Java comes with a new framework every few months; I've given up trying to remember all these acronyms. And once you've written a few Java applications that should run on different app servers, you know that "write once, run everywhere" is a lie.

2. Usually I don't get paid for learning a new language, but to get the job done. That's why my first choice would be Python. Though I'd like to learn another language - perhaps Ruby or (a step backwards) C#.

• SPACKE disse...
    • Usuário
    • Abr 3 2008, 19h57
    1. Applications:Java development with Eclipse
    Web: Enterprise Java Beans or if not necessary just JSP. I hope there will be more Servlet Containers on the WWW in the next few years. I used to use PHP for my WebSites until I learned JSP for my personal opinion -> PHP does not offer that much possibilities like J2EE.

2. It refers to the kind of problem, if it's an easy programm i would choose the new language if not i would choose a language that I'm aware of

• Usuário
    • Abr 28 2008, 19h03

Re:language preference

1. Java/bash+gedit+jdk6.0
    2. Rather try `a new` (non-java) language

• Usuário
    • Abr 29 2008, 8h38

Re: language preference

1. I have always liked Ruby but I hardly ever get that choice.
    2. I like learning new languages but I don't think there is a language I want to know that I haven't at least tried out. I guess whatever is best for the job.

• Knoeki disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 1 2008, 1h41
    6502 assembly here, on my Commodore 64. I do it for fun. still want to learn Python, though.

• 1. Depends on what I'm trying to do.
    OOP: Java. I actually like C# more, but Mono isn't good enough yet.
    Imperative (especially for low-level stuff): C
    Logic (unification and such): Prolog
    Functional: OCaml
    Scripting: Python

2. If I feel I could get the job done faster with a different language, I'll take the time to learn it. For example, there are some things that I could write in Prolog in 10 minutes that would take a week to write in Java. If I didn't know Prolog and I encountered a situation like this, I would learn it.

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.