Whose brain parses foreign lyrics as English? (Caramelldansen!)

• Whose brain parses foreign lyrics as English? (Caramelldansen!)

This could be considered an extreme type of mondegreen. Who has had the rather strange experience of hearing a song in a foreign language you don't speak (with or without initially knowing its provenance) and having your brain attempt to parse it in English?

My finest hour with such things is without a doubt the notorious phenomenon that is the Caramelldansen. I heard the Swedish version with no clue what it was, and my mind had parsed it before I knew any better. I figured something was up only when I got to the chorus. Even now I know, I still hear these lyrics:

When your daddy leaves, you're a part of me
    I'm on the phone with un ami francais
    Come again? You're dancing like a part of me
    So right the way I felt then, uh-huh, huh,
    And we can eat, or help to la-la-la,
    You're so mean--
    See, there's the melody!

Now tell me off, jump back in the handbag
    Yours, I'll be yours, I want to stay in the bandstand
    Kiss now or lie
    Misa's in the grandstand
    Live and be high
    Caramelldansen!

Be a sexy fool, it may be your first chance
    I'm coming out, my slipper lost
    Come again?
    Sweetheart, if they could only guess!
    So right the way I felt then, uh-huh, huh,
    And we can eat, or help to la-la-la,
    You're so mean--
    See, there's the melody!

(repeat chorus)

• Bhekoz disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 23 2009, 13h30
    Search on YouTube for Buffalax. He has sort of done this with many different songs: Hindi, German and Swedish songs, subtitled with the lyrics he heared as an English speaking guy. It's quite hilarious. :)

The dyslectic man sold his soul to Santa.
    • snyde1 disse...
    • Assinante
    • Ago 31 2009, 2h57
    Buffalax example: Girly Man! I'm killing myself laughing here. Thanks for the pointer.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.