• DoctorT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 4 2004, 0h59

Welcome

Welcome to the forum for lovers of Latin American music. Who do you listen to? What kind of music do you like. Especially, do you listen to a group that we should link to?

Music, like language, is universal.
  • I like ¡Cubanismo!, Tito Puente, Buena Vista Social Club, Shakira, some Selena, and cheesy Mexican club mixes.

• mll disse...
    • Moderador
    • Out 25 2004, 20h15
    Hi there,

Not really a latin america expert (didn't even suscribe to this group !), but I just wondered : why did you put Alpha Blondy in the connections ?

MLL

Check out some of my groups: TV-free | Musepackers of the world, unite !

Je suis modérateur pour lastfm.fr (la partie francophone).
    I'm a moderator for lastfm.fr (french-speaking side of last.fm).
    • DoctorT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 25 2004, 20h44
    Because he is a perfect example of the circular influence of African music. African music came to the Americas with the black slaves and in time formed many influential genres, such as reggae, which in turn influenced contemporary African artists.

Editado por DoctorT em Out 26 2004, 19h08
    • mll disse...
    • Moderador
    • Out 26 2004, 6h51
    Makes sense... :)

Check out some of my groups: TV-free | Musepackers of the world, unite !

Je suis modérateur pour lastfm.fr (la partie francophone).
    I'm a moderator for lastfm.fr (french-speaking side of last.fm).
    • DoctorT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 26 2004, 17h29
    How many people realize that Brazil has the largest black population of any country outside of Africa?

• Flippant disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 27 2004, 1h58
    i didnt know that. and they are my neighbours to the south.
    lately i am digging thievery corporation, who like to mix alot of 70's lounge samba, dub, and classical indian. i also like cuban son, and would listen to alot more latin music if the cd stores actually had some kind of selection and not just pop.

• DoctorT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 28 2004, 16h25
    I'm not familiar with thievery corporation, I'll check them out. I like Cuban Son also, although I don't have a lot of it. I do have an old vhs tape of Cuban Son performers just doing their stuff which I like to put on every once in a while.

If your stores have (or can order) the Rough Guides to music, then you will have lots of Latin music availabe as they have several compilation albums. One thing about the Rough Guides is that I have found them to be consistently good such that I am not afraid to buy anything in their catalog and their albums are a good introduction to various regions and genres. Putumayo also has some good Latin music.

• I listen to some fairly diverse latin american music, Tijuana No, Buena Vista Social Club, LKJ, Mutabaruka, Alturas but No 1 is Victor Jara.

It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees - Emiliano Zapata
  • Tijuana No

Tijuana No is a very cool group, Julieta Venegas comes from that band, now she's very popular all over the continent, she has even made number one in The Latin American Top 100 twice with Lento and Andar Conmigo!!
    if you wanna know what do we latins listen the most check http://www.toplatino.net Somtimes it seems that people think we only listen to folk or traditional music...

• DoctorT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 13 2005, 11h43
    Dubhghaill & josecharts, thanx for the groups. I have added those to the connections that weren't already included.

Josecharts, thanx for the link - I will spend some time exploring the site.

• Hi, I listen to alot of latin music, mostly brazillian, though. Some artists I listen to the most are Os Mutantes, Caetano Veloso, Luis Bonfra, Illya Kuryaki and The Valderramas, Control Machete, and many more. I saw this community and some of the artists associated with it and decided to join.

• DoctorT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 15 2005, 2h22
    Welcome aboard, mafiachuck, and thanx for a couple new names I could add to connections.

• Tease disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 20 2005, 13h53
    Though I don't have a lot of latin names in my chart lists, I do love to listen to any latin music; salsa, son, soca, bachata, merengue, bossa nova but also a lot of spanish music.

Favourite artists in these genres are: Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Jimmy Bosch, Ray Baretto, Tito Rodriguez, the Lebron Brothers, Mano Negra, Manu Chao, El Tattoo del Tigre, Ozomatli, El Gran Silencio, Sergent Garcia, Los de Abajo, Amparanoia, Ojos de Brujo (flamenco), Omara Portuondo, Ry Cooder, Joao & Bebel Gilberto, Carlos Jobim, Zuco 103, Electro Coco, Mongo Santamaria (& La Lupe), Eddie Palmieri, Cal Tjader, Conjunto Libre, Seu Jorge, Gabriel Rios and probably a lot that I can't think of right now... a lot of traditional salsa but also some new stuff and some spanish artists... I also like reggae a lot, I could drop names but I think my post is already long enough.. :P

Maybe I can get to know some new artists in the latin-genres by being in this group (I guess first I'm gonna check out Tijuana No :)
    Any more good new artists like Ozomatli, Sergent Garcia and such?

• Tease disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 20 2005, 13h54
    Though I don't have a lot of latin names in my chart lists, I do love to listen to any latin music; salsa, son, soca, bachata, merengue, bossa nova but also a lot of spanish music.

Favourite artists in these genres are: Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Jimmy Bosch, Ray Baretto, Tito Rodriguez, the Lebron Brothers, Mano Negra, Manu Chao, El Tattoo del Tigre, Ozomatli, El Gran Silencio, Sergent Garcia, Los de Abajo, Amparanoia, Ojos de Brujo (flamenco), Omara Portuondo, Ry Cooder, Joao & Bebel Gilberto, Carlos Jobim, Zuco 103, Electro Coco, Mongo Santamaria (& La Lupe), Eddie Palmieri, Cal Tjader, Conjunto Libre, Seu Jorge, Gabriel Rios and probably a lot that I can't think of right now... a lot of traditional salsa but also some new stuff and some spanish artists... I also like reggae a lot, I could drop names but I think my post is already long enough.. :P

Maybe I can get to know some new artists in the latin-genres by being in this group (I guess first I'm gonna check out Tijuana No :)
    Any more good new artists like Ozomatli, Sergent Garcia and such?

• Tease disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 20 2005, 13h55
    sorry for the double post - my wrong

• DoctorT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 20 2005, 22h16

Re:

Quoth Tease:
    Favourite artists in these genres are:

Hey, thanx for the list, I will see who we aren't linked to yet and get them linked.

I hope you do find so new great music, that's what it is all about. Don't worry about the double or long posts. If you want to recommend artists that we aren't linked to yet, please do.

And, welcome.

Tom

• Cafe Tacuba, Los Aterciopelados, Los Tres, and Gustavo Cerati/Soda Stereo are the Spanish language groups I listen to the most.

Stop the crying and the lying, And the sighing and my dying -Sail on, sail on sailor.
    Free the West Memphis 3 - Cafe Tacuba- Plotting World Domination Since 2005 - Allstars get a discount at Spectrum Prosthetics and Silky Panties.
    Editado por fnnkybutt em Jul 26 2005, 9h24
  • my favorite spannish bands/artist

los deliquentes y manu chao

--Che
    • vate disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 9 2005, 16h36

electronica mexicana...

• some of my favorites

some great choices in no particular order:

Platero
    Charly Garcia
    Compay Segundo
    Cafe Tacuba
    Arteciopelados
    Mana

Editado por charliemartin em Set 10 2005, 18h44
    • ahinama disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 11 2005, 20h48

Ahi-nama

Heard about Last.fm on the Swedish radio this morning. I find it great! Have already fine-tuned my profile to Latin + Jazz. Do you like to learn more about my musical travelling, read my blog:
    http://ahi-nama.blogspot.com/

Just now I like to hear the Calypsonian Gypsy singing The Sinking Ship.

Ahi-Nama

• Make yourself all honey and the flies will devour you**
    Editado por chiarodiluna em Set 28 2005, 4h23
    • cynpp83 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 29 2005, 16h20

Jorge Drexler

Jorge Drexler is from Uruguay. His songs are excellent. Have you ever heard about him?
    He won an "Oscar" for "Diarios de Motocicleta" :)

Cyn:)
    • bietje disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 7 2005, 11h17
    I like Maná, Manu Chao, Gondwana, Tito Puentes, Buena Vista Social Club, Gotan Project (but I think it's French), Orishas, Oscar de Leon, Carlos Vives,...
    Well, lots of great latin artists! And I'm always searching for some new great bands. So if anybody knows some nice music I definetly should discover, go ahead and tell me!
    Cheers!

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.