• Eye Contact

Can you do it? Can you look into a stranger's eyes?? Can you hold a gaze during a conversation???

I can, but it seems overtly sexual. It's exciting, but being that I'm damn near married.. should I just not make eye contact? Because I really would like to be more assertive and involved in things...

• Not really, have to look away after a few seconds.

Just the other day I had an awkward experience in class, there were only 3 other students, so I couldn't avoid eye contact. Two hours of looking away after a second or two. Not pleasant.

I like your flowers.
    • Nepthys disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 10 2009, 17h32
    I'd rather not look for more than a few seconds and then I switch to looking at other parts of the person's face near the eyes so they won't really notice. Eye contact gives me an uncomfortable feeling, as if the other person can read my mind and see the real me.

I do enjoy staring endlessly into the eyes of someone I love, though.

Ni!
    • Imariabe disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 10 2009, 18h12
    I stopped making eye contact with people because I didn't want them to think I was staring at them. Now I avoid it because it makes me uncomfortable.

• Roxtah disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 11 2009, 0h10
    I avoid making eye contact whenever possible. In fact I prefer to not look at people at all, except in conversations maybe.

• Nasef disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 11 2009, 1h13
    I can make eye contacts with strangers and get away with it without feeling much different but when I make it with people closer to me, I just sorta feel a tad bit un comfortable making eye to eye, so I try to look away once in a while..

Grow up and blow away
  • I did a bit of research, and apparently in American culture it's most important to maintain eye contact with someone, to show you are trustworthy I suppose...
    Many other cultures find eye contact to be insulting. Islamic people avoid eye contact with the opposite sex so that they don't commit "adultery of the eyes."
    Interesting.

• Calcutec disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 11 2009, 10h16
    I cannot maintain or commit eye contact to strangers and people I'm not close with. I'm also absolutely terrified of having eye contact with someone I find attractive, coz you know...

I choose life.
  • Heh, I remember when I first met with my ex, I was trying very hard not to touch her or look at her :D. God that must've been weird...

I like your flowers.
    • orimazd disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 12 2009, 21h53
    vutterfly said:
    I did a bit of research, and apparently in American culture it's most important to maintain eye contact with someone, to show you are trustworthy I suppose...

Thing is, everyone knows this (I was always told to look people in the eye so they don't think I'm lying to them or feeling contemptuous of them), so people who are lying use eye contact to suggest that they are telling the truth.

• orimazd disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 12 2009, 21h57
    Nepthys said:
    I'd rather not look for more than a few seconds and then I switch to looking at other parts of the person's face near the eyes so they won't really notice. Eye contact gives me an uncomfortable feeling, as if the other person can read my mind and see the real me.

And this is why my eye contact with people tends to be brief...but I do the same thing, looking at a nearby part of their face, or I glaze my eyes over and just look at the blurry eye region of their face, or look busy with something else. Probably makes me appear vapid, but I'm not one for staring contests.

• I don't like making eye contact, but do so in most social situations in order to keep my levels of perceived freakishness at a bare minimum. If a person already knows I'm quite dodgy, I'll proudly stare at the floor whilst conversing with him/her/it.

I was the mirror.
    • orimazd disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 12 2009, 23h11
    sentry_now said:
    I don't like making eye contact, but do so in most social situations in order to keep my levels of perceived freakishness at a bare minimum. If a person already knows I'm quite dodgy, I'll proudly stare at the floor whilst conversing with him/her/it.

I won't turn you to stone, I'm no basilisk.

Are you medusa? Is that why you included the pronoun "it"?

• Medusa is female. Don't get owned by me, kthnxbai!

I was the mirror.
    • orimazd disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 12 2009, 23h27
    sentry_now said:
    Medusa is female. Don't get owned by me, kthnxbai!

last I checked, you were female

• So is Medusa. What's the point? Are you a marketing major or something? : I

I was the mirror.
    • orimazd disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 12 2009, 23h33
    ESTJ, oh yeah. Marketing major, with a very bright future ahead of me. I'm converting to Islam so I can have four trophy wives to cheat on! Wanna be one of them?

(call me Akbar Haynaan-Majnoon from now on)

• Calcutec disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 13 2009, 9h42
    Why not just be Mormon...?

I choose life.
  • I am already betrothed to a Mr. Jaleel White. Sculptor, thespian, and Kung Fu master.

What do you people do at job interviews? I am thinking of wearing sunglasses to all future job interviews, myself.

I was the mirror.
  • orimazd said:
    I glaze my eyes over and just look at the blurry eye region of their face

I totally do that, too. If I'm feeling gutsy, I'll look them straight in the eye but that's dangerous for me. =P

[user]sentry_now said:
    What do you people do at job interviews? I am thinking of wearing sunglasses to all future job interviews, myself.

Sounds like a good idea! =D

• orimazd disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 16 2009, 4h57
    I'll go to a job interview in huge sunglasses and a pashmina afghan scarf in the future.

• Calcutec disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 16 2009, 9h53
    I'd rather bring a boombox, though that might backfire.

I choose life.
  • The other day I was thinking it would be interesting to go to a job interview with an open can of beer. Not a bottle, it has to be a can. What would an employer do if a job applicant walked in chugging a can of beer? Maybe that would actually set one apart, show she has a sense of humor, courage, edginess? I guess I will try that in combination with the sunglasses.

I was the mirror.
  • I'd rather bring a boombox, though that might backfire.

Make sure you're carrying it on your shoulder. I also recommend sporting a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air haircut and dayglo MC Hammer parachute pants.

I was the mirror.
  • bwahaha you guys are reminding me of this guy going to a job interview:

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.