would you dump a guy for his music taste?

• would you dump a guy for his music taste?

I just did. He is a Ke$ha fan.

Now, not only is it lame to replace a traditional S with a dollar sign as correct spelling for your stage name.. but I didn't even know this woman existed until he played her completely autotuned vocals for me.. he was in a lather. He took offense when i said Lady Gaga was NOT real music..and thought i had "dull" taste.

We stopped seeing each other and now he's off with some 20 year old fellow pop-o-phile and i'm left alone to my "dull" music taste. I couldn't be anymore content.

However when i was younger I didn't think taste in music- something seemingly trivial- would later on be a deal breaker many times for me. Especially for someone like myself who takes their music seriously.. heavily enjoys shows and sitting around listening to music while doing other thing 'round the house rather than watching Tv.

Have you "dumped" a guy because of difference in taste (music and otherwise)?

Or is it not a problem for you if he listens to music that is nearly polar/opposite of yours?

• Dealbreaker.

Imagine: the two of you are on a long, long car trip across the country so you can see your cousin Bradford get married. Bradford's kind of a prick, but it's an excuse to drive around, see the country, and listen to some tunes. You agree to split the music decisions: you get an album, he gets an album, and you keep switching like that until sunset arrives and you find a reasonably unskeezy Comfort Inn. You spin Deep Purple In Rock first, because the album rocks, obviously, and because Speed King is a great song to hit the open highway with.

Forty-four minutes later, the album ends, and it's his turn. A song comes on. Bubblegum pop, but nothing too unbearable. The second track begins, and you realize with increasing consternation that you are listening to Miley Cyrus inquiring about the ownership of her heart. You sweat, but remain calm, even when she begins telling you how unlikely it is for her ever to be tamed.

But then you realize that she is about to cover Poison. Fucking Poison, that song about roses and thorns and whatnot.

You can't control yourself. You veer the car off the road, jumping the guardrail and aiming for the first large pole you see.

Officially, the wreck is ruled an accident, but it is difficult for them to tell, as most of the manpower is currently being spent scraping bits of you and your (ex-)boyfriend off the dashboard and aforementioned large pole.

Not a pretty picture, is it? Better to stick with someone who doesn't suck at life.

• Wow.

I don't think I'd have got into that situation, I think it'd have put me off before I started the relationship. Once into it, who knows?

Anarchism stands for liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property; liberation from shackles and restraint of government. It stands for social order based on the free grouping of individuals.
    It [...] maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination.
    • pojkeboy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 10 2011, 8h59
    Yeah, I agree with luke skywalker here. The first thing I have a guy do is whip it out (His ipod sickos! [iTouch? heh heh]). Then if I approve of his taste I have him suck me off but then I don't reciprocate. heh he he....

But anyway, yeah usually people with shitty taste in music I don't care as human beings. If they like annoying music... odds are good that they have a host of other annoying interests. My hatred for Kesha is unmatched. Well that's not actually true but she does suck super bad.

I will say that I like GaGa though. I don't really listen to her as much right now because I think her creative peak has already passed with that EP she did. Her new song is so annoying... and gay. I'm gay. Other people are gay. We get it. A lot of people don't like us. Why be conspicuous about it?! Ugh. Oh, and I don't care what anybody says... There's no way Lady Gaga is trashy pop when ridiculousness like Little Boots, Goldfrapp, and that old looking whore Robyn are some how indie? Please!

CHRIST!

Oh, I'm going to quickly check to see if your music taste is dull.

• pojkeboy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 10 2011, 9h01
    Lies, your music taste is fantastic. Though I suspect you suffer from severe depression. :)

• I'm having an issue at the moment with the other half.
    Probably one that I am not going to get any support from here.
    I like this group because we talk about things I'm interested in, but I'm the first to admit I love shit pop music.

Other half is pretty snobby with his music, and isn't adverse to saying he likes something when he has really only heard one song, or judging me because I say I don't like it. He's also a sucker for 'remixes' because obviously they are edgier.

So I was listening to Ellie Goulding the other day, and he trashes her. Fair, each to their own. Then I make him listen to the new Britney album and he tells me off because she is a puppet and her music is overproduced. Preaching to the choir to be honest - the downfall of Britney is what makes her so awesome, and is why I love her so.

I love being introduced to new things, and I know what I like and what I don't, but I try to see merit in all types of music and I like it when people explain to me why they like something.

It's a real turn off being told what to listen to, and an even bigger one when people tell me why I shouldn't be listening to it.

Now everyone, write back and tell me how great Britney is.

• If my other half played me any Britney album I'd bury him at sea, not just dump him.

Anarchism stands for liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property; liberation from shackles and restraint of government. It stands for social order based on the free grouping of individuals.
    It [...] maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination.
  • Fully expected that from you.

In return you would be dumped (not at sea... that's harsh) for telling me what to think.
    WE'RE THROUGH

• He's not telling you what to think, only saying that you'd get very wet and not in any of the smilehappyw00t ways.

• pojkeboy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 17 2011, 4h59
    Dude, shitty pop music is the shit! It has its place. Ever been to a hipster party where the most dancey the place gets is listening to RadioHead's "Reckoner"? Ick!

Kylie Minogue and Madonna that shit. The annoying thing about having "good taste" in music is that often it seems related to a fear of emasculating oneself, as if music is gender specific and not just a cultural product. Because there is such a thing as GOOD pop. All too often, mass popularity is equated with the lowest common denominator. Such is not the case. And while I do think Lady GaGa's new song is annoying and awful I like the rest of her stuff and if her last LP had moved only 250,000 units she'd be a hipster god.

Somehow, Little Boots and Goldfrapp are revelations of good taste... but Christina Aguilera and Madonna are annoying trash? Hmmm... Le Roux is annoying! Bulletproof... hermaphrodite with the face of a 3 year old Norwegian boy and semen-covered hair stolen from that red-headed dike from sex and the city. (<3 lesbians, for the record)

• Until you descended into Ru Paul mudslinging you made a really good point.

I think a lot of the problems this group has are to do with emasculating egos for the sake of 'good taste'. Sometimes ever for the sake of not listening to a female sing. I find some people think that by listening to a girl (be it hipster-cool or not) is somehow more gay.

Then again... I think we've spoken before about some people just liking male voices more.

Jeez. I'm totally off track. Sozza

• marry me pojkeboy. hehe. I am a firm believer that too many hipsters believe that pop music is automatically off limits. Or that in general, there is no such thing as good pop music. Pop music makes me want to dance and yes GaGa and Black Eyed Peas would be more respected if they sold LESS. Everyone can say no to that, but I guarantee its true.

Now, a boy with dissimilar music tastes can still sleep next to me. If the music is not my taste I can handle that as long as the boy doesn't listen to the radio. The radio kills music exploration by forcing you to listen to a small range of sounds. If he listens to commercial radio as his only source of music then we probably wouldn't get along on many other levels...which I all think you can relate to.

I think that no matter what, eventually, our musical tastes would vary. Mine are always evolving and who is to say if they would evolve on the same path. I wouldn't expect us to have the same tastes nor for those tastes to remain the same throughout a relationship. There just has to be some underlying philosophies about musical meanderings to keep us united on this front.

=)

• Pop music isn't necessarily bad (I think I might be lying here), but when it's stereotypically gay it's just shameful.

• If they liked some really good bands or a good mix I think I'd be okay....but if they just listened to pop or stereotypically gay music then I'd prob never date that person lol

• 'Just' is the word that matters here, isn't it. If you 'just' listen to one type of music, for me it shows that you aren't as open and you definitely don't have too much else going on... Why would you purposefully limit yourself in something as crucial as music? If your mind is still closed to something as important to me as that, I'm not bothered by you.

Everyone needs a bit of variety, and an open mind makes someone double the amount of attractive in my eyes.

• Yeah def. listening to one type of music is disappointing

• A class A quality to me that the guy has atleast some form of music taste, doesn't matter how hot he is, if he listends to madonna, i cant sleep with em'

• pojkeboy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 28 2011, 7h44
    Bahaha! Then I'll sleep with him listening to "Holiday" all night. :)

• Ha! I would love to see that.
    Sounds like some kind of weird ironically-sexy scene from when that guy was ashamed of his gay in Six Feet Under.

• pojkeboy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 28 2011, 20h49
    Dude if you're going to watch us bone you might as well just jump on in. If you're saying I look like Michael C. Hall you would not be the first... But I'm jot sure I see it.

• Dexter is missing Madonna-fuelled sex scenes, I will say.

• I wasn't even thinking there was a Michael C. Hall similarity, but now that I stare at a 1cm x 1cm picture of you I am TOTALLY seeing it!

I am clearly more profound than I give myself credit for.
    Maybe we should start a 'people who look like things or other people' thread.

• Yes. I'd rather be single for the rest of my life than be with a Nickelback fan.

• pojkeboy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 3 2011, 23h59
    That's what your mother said to me in the shower this morning.

• This turned out to be one helluva amusing thread.

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.