Go Problems From Books in .SGF Format?

• Go Problems From Books in .SGF Format?

Anyone had any experience with laboriously entering go problems from books to .sgf files so you can use them with, say, a program such as GoGrinder and get all possible orientations/inversions, not just "black to X in the lower right corner"?

I really feel it helps, as in: forcing the mind to remember the abstract pattern instead of the "image" of the problem as presented in the book.

(I've entered about 250+ L&D problems from various Chinese go problem books and it can get boring. Something to do when I listen to new music. :p)

It also bothers me that the Get Strong at .. or 501 Opening/Tesuji, 1001 Life and Death etc from Kiseido aren't available as raw .sgf data so you can test yourself in a randomized manner. Doesn't it lower the value of re-reading a problem book many times when the configurations are always the same and they're in the same order? You begin to remember the sequence itself... I've entered about 80 problems from Get Strong at the Opening, with text and everything, as .sgf files but that takes up even more time...

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 23 2006, 10h42
    I think your attitude is wrong. You should try to imagine all possible variations by yourself, not using any go programs and definitely do not try to memorize sequences. The most important part in solving problems is not the answer, but solving itself. :)
    if you desperately need to memorize, then do it with pro games. it really helps.

cheers mate

• I'm not "deperately memorizing." Memorization comes naturally from repetition. Take 501 Opening Problems. You go through the book once, OK. Then you go through it a second time a couple of months later. A lot of times you'll find yourself thinking, "hey I recognize that funny wall up there in that corner, this must be that problem where Black played at A because bla bla bla..." You don't even need to think or look at the entire board. You could force yourself to, but what's the point now, you know where Black plays and why just cause you recognized how the top of the board looked from the last time you did the problem.

Then imagine going through the book a third time... Now it gets even worse: "Oh, I remember the answer here was at A, 'cause this problem came right after the last one where B was the answer..."

My memory is far from perfect, but it starts to feel pretty eidetic after re-reading any problem book three or four times - I'm not reading or even checking liberties anymore. I'm not even recalling based on the shape of the stones, just meta-clues, like I remember the order of the problems / the problem's position on the page / the exact text below the problem and associate IT with the answer. I don't want to waste neurons on that stuff.

I'm not TRYING to commit the problems to memory in this way, but it just happens. I imagine randomized order / color / orientation would at least help me put off the worst rote memorization for a couple of re-readings.

But anyway, I got ahold of a couple of thousand problems that I can use with GoGrinder so now I'm happy. :) Hopefully no more meta-memorization, just reading practice & shape memorization.

• Espirit disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 24 2009, 14h53
    Doing problems

Aim: Improve calculation skills (reading)

How to do problems the right way?
    Read out all the possible variations. It's a misconception that the key is to find the right line. The true idea is to get you learn to come out with many lines, and decide which line is the best to play, this particularly applies to non life and death situations.

When I redo a problem. I will attempt to come out with all the possible lines even though I know the right line to play.

• Vidreven disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 2 2010, 16h47
    I know I'm a little late in respoding but 8 or 9 years ago my dad converted 1000 tsumego problems into sgf. They still exist somewhere on his computer, I would just have to find them.

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.