Tagging Software (?).

• Tagging Software (?).

What advantages do Tagging software brings? A lot of people here (and well, in other places too) use their preferred player which normally has a tag editor, but they use a tag editor separately too. Why? Do they have any special features I am not going to find in my iTunes? If so, what's the best MP3/FLAC tagger?

Thanks.

• liftarn disse...
    • Wiki Moderator
    • Mar 17 2011, 10h00
    I prefer MusicBrainz Picard. The huge advantage is that it connects to the MusicBrainz database and look up all your data for you.
    Ok, WinAmp also have the ability, but they use data from Gracenote and it's not as complete and of much lower quality than MusicBrainz.

Please do yourself and Last.fm a favour and fix your tags. The easiest way is to use Musicbrainz Picard.
    • KryptoN disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 17 2011, 17h24
    I had Picard a long time ago but the GUI in it was really annoying IMO (I don't know how it has changed since then though). I personally use mp3tag which can interface with musicbrainz as well.

I use foobar as the media player and while it includes decent tagging capabilities, they are no match for the script-support and various other features included in mp3tag.

Also, there is already a bigger thread about tagging software which includes discussion about features: http://www.last.fm/group/Get+Your+Damn+Tags+Right/forum/13179/_/73026

Latest ratings on RYM:
  • KryptoN said:
    . I personally use mp3tag which can interface with musicbrainz as well.

Hi KryptoN,

I've tried to find how, but no luck, could you tell me how mp3tag can interface with musicbrainz? What is the address of the server, path and port?
    Hope you can tell me!

Cheers!

• KryptoN disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 16 2011, 9h57
    R3D_Music said:
    KryptoN said:
    . I personally use mp3tag which can interface with musicbrainz as well.

Hi KryptoN,

I've tried to find how, but no luck, could you tell me how mp3tag can interface with musicbrainz? What is the address of the server, path and port?
    Hope you can tell me!

Cheers!

Hey, I believe this feature was down while MusicBrainz was in the process of rolling out the Next Generation Schema so if you tried to do this during that, try again. It should work now though. Inside the program select the tracks, then go to Tag Sources -> MusicBrainz in the upper menu bar. The MusicBrainz feature is native to the app, you don't need to manually add it as a server or anything.

Note that you must update your Mp3tag to at least 2.49 (currently newest). It didn't seem to work with 2.48 when I tried it (everything came back blank + other weirdness).

Latest ratings on RYM:
  • OMG that simple....sorry that I asked...should've looked a little better...thanx !

• I used mp3tag since yesterday, now I've learnt to deal with puddletag, which is heavily inspired by mp3tag. And it runs native in my environment, which is a big plus, too.
    All tagging suites have their advantages, but I've never used a media player to get the tags of freshly acquired mp3's right.

• Hi,

Do you know a way to add Gracenote server to Mp3tag?

I've tested so many tagging apps, and any of them has all that i need, so i have to use more than one to get the job complete. For me the best ones are:

1 - Winamp: Very quick tagging using the gracenote (CDDB) server, but it doesn't have a way to change the search and it doesn't insert the cover automatically.
    2 - Mp3tag: Extremely powerful tool for tagging and it also renames files and folders very well, but it doesn't support gracenote server as far as I know... :(
    3 - MediaMonkey: Excelente player and organizer and it is very quick and useful to make manual tag changes, one by one or in a bunch.

NINJA1200
    rogeriopcf

• liftarn disse...
    • Wiki Moderator
    • Jun 25 2012, 12h03
    rogeriopcf said:
    Do you know a way to add Gracenote server to Mp3tag?

Gracenote is commercial so I dubt it. Also the data quality is really bad in many cases outside the most mainstream.

Please do yourself and Last.fm a favour and fix your tags. The easiest way is to use Musicbrainz Picard.
    • madrfadr disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 19 2012, 21h32
    I use Mp3tag with Discogs Plugin, so all that i have to do is to copy number of discogs release (in address bar of browser) and paste it in mp3tag ( Tag Sources). Great tool that helped me to organize a looot of music files.

also, i think that Discogs is most appropriate music releases database on web.

• picard is a powerful tool that writes all kind of information (composer, performers, label + release info,...) into your files, but is a poor manual editor. It just takes the information from it's database and pipes it into your audiofiles. you can do quite some stuff via scripting and plugins but it's limited at manual editing.

but for the seldom occasions i want my stuff in another way than the musicbrainz database is organised i just use the tagging capabilities of my player (foobar).

• Luky7 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 31 2012, 6h12
    And Winamp with his auto-tag is not good? :D

• aerozol1 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 20 2012, 10h17
    Picard.

Set it up to tag exactly how YOU want it. But because it saves the MB link you can just set it up to tag differently the next day, and it will retag all your music automatically. Or if you give it to someone else who wants it different...
    And the link to the original data remains no matter how much you mess things up.

unicorns
    • Cranigen disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 10 2012, 13h28
    I use picard and Mp3tag, picard to find the album if it has missing info, and mp3tag to transfer the info

• Long life to Mp3tag!

• I've used Tag&Rename for the last several years. It excels for manual tag editing!

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 17 2013, 10h42
    I use both Picard and MP3tag.

First, I try semi-automatically tagging with Picard and if it fails I tag it manually with MP3tag.

I agree with the comments saying that Picard's GUI is not as good as MP3tag for manual tagging.

• miasmata disse...
    • Usuário
    • Out 28 2013, 16h10
    I tag everything manually with mp3tag and puddletag. It's not so much that I don't trust the musicbrainz db but that I would rather have consistency across my entire music library and across OS's.

Still, I have the process rather streamlined; I get the tags right using either discogs or rateyourmusic as a reference and then with one click the music gets moved into its proper directories and gets added to the library.

from point, to point
Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.