Does being a Christian limit your musical selection?

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 24 2007, 3h47

Does being a Christian limit your musical selection?

RAgirl2 and just started talking about this, and I thought it'd be fruitful to allow everyone to discuss this.

She noticed that I played Avenged Sevenfold on my recently played list. Does it matter that I'm a Christian and listen to them? Is secular music wrong?

RAgirl2 please don't take offense or anything with this, I only use our discussion as an example to hopefully spark conversation about this very interesting topic and hope to get a good discussion going.

• It depends...

Biblically, there's nothing that says a Christian can't listen to secular music. It's one of those things, like tatoos or casual drinking, that God leaves up to you to decide based on your own evaluation of yourself. However, I personally feel that it's a problem if the music I listen to hinders my walk with Christ or I become so obsessed with it that it becomes my "idol." Also, listening to music littered with profanities doesn't exactly send a good message to the rest of the world.

If anyone from this group looks at my charts they probably won't recognize any of the artists on there. That's because 99.9% of them are non-Christian. I really only listen to worship music during my alone time with God. But for enjoyment I listen to electronic music, 99.9% of which is non-Christian.

And thanks for creating this topic. It's helping me realize I need to spend more time with God and less time listening to music.

"You can cross the fade but can't fade the cross"
    Andy HunterThe Wonders Of You
    • Usuário
    • Jan 24 2007, 14h03
    Korn is only thing that I'm listening! And they aren't christian music, as many of you know. Actually, many people connects them with satan. But I can tell you that they aren't satanists and that there isn't any connection with them and satan!
    Music isn't something that have effection on my believe.

• Usuário
    • Jan 25 2007, 15h43
    Honestly, it all depends on lyrics. In my humble opinion
    lyrics do make a BIG difference in what you believe. Here's a verse
    Philippians 4:8 you might just wanna look it up for yourself it is alot of typing.
    Anyway, the main idea is that you should think about what would honor God. A7X lyrics are highly anti-moral.
    so, it all depends on lyrics not style. I wwasn't saying that. Trust me i can't. :}

• Usuário
    • Jan 25 2007, 16h15
    Philippians 4:8 (New International Version)

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

• That is a good verse to live by. I agree with ragirl that the music itself is not bad. It is the lyrics inside the music. You may say that they have no effect on you at all but the reality is that they do. You may not see it right away but it is a process that if continued over a long period of time will take over your life. Think about this to what would happened if a unsaved person saw or heard you listening to this type of music. Are they going to see God in it. I dont think they will. All they will see is the world They wont see Christ in you. And if you tell them you are a Christian and end up doing the things of the world you ruin the testimony of Christians everywhere along with your own. So when you listen to the type of music that is Anti-God and just bad all around you are not only harmning yourself and your eternal soul but are harming others you should be witnessing to.

When life gives you lemons.........
    Throw it back and ask for Chocolate!
  • How much lyrics affect you depends on how much you belive in yourself and how confident you are about your own beliefs. Suicidal lyrics won't make a normal person commit suicide, and happy music won't help a suicidal person. It's just like some christians read about other religions to educate themselves, while others won't touch that stuff. I listen to black metal, and it hasn't turned me into a murderer or anything worse than I already was. If music and lyrics can influence you very easily and change your whole belief system...well then maybe you should work on some self-improvement.

Dumnezeu a murit
  • jimmusic2u, you seem to be completly clueless about what you're talking about.

Dumnezeu a murit
    • Usuário
    • Jan 30 2007, 2h31
    evulfuson said:
    jimmusic2u, you seem to be completly clueless about what you're talking about.

no jmmusic2u just has a friend who knows what lyrics can do. me. black metal probably has effected you. you just don't realize it because you're so calloused to it.
    i'm not trying to be judgemental. i just know what punk did to me. i am just now getting over six months of apathy towards God and alot of authority in my life. so jmmusic2u knows more than you think.

• DiddL disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 30 2007, 16h27
    no i don't think it does limit, or at least it shouldn't. music is entertainment(no matter how much you love it or how personally you take it), and as long as it has no affects on your beliefs, even Black metal is harmless.Besides, devil in music(except black metal of course) is only an image thing. Two of Slayer dudes are catholics, and the band itself is considered to be the most antichrist of all times.

• DiddL said:
    no i don't think it does limit, or at least it shouldn't. music is entertainment(no matter how much you love it or how personally you take it), and as long as it has no affects on your beliefs, even Black metal is harmless.Besides, devil in music(except black metal of course) is only an image thing. Two of Slayer dudes are catholics, and the band itself is considered to be the most antichrist of all times.

Exactly how much black metal do you think is SERIOUSLY Satanic?

There's no problem a few frag grenades can't fix.

Cookies for Godlessness
    My Twin in life, love, mind, and music: ISoS
    The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirit. -Nietzsche
    • Usuário
    • Fev 3 2007, 4h16
    66.6%

• You obviously don't know much about Black Metal.

Though that was a cute joke.

Cookies for Godlessness
    The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirit. -Nietzsche
    • Usuário
    • Fev 3 2007, 4h25
    RageofAnath said:
    You obviously don't know much about Black Metal.

So true, so true.

Though that was a cute joke.

Score!

Hey RageofAnath, were you in marching band? I was reading your site and I think I read something that hinted at it. Just curious.

• Yes, I was.

Cookies for Godlessness
    • Usuário
    • Fev 3 2007, 4h36
    RageofAnath said:
    Yes, I was.

Cool, my wife was too, and was the drum major her junior year.

What instrument?

• Saxophone. I played Alto for Marching and Concert band, Tenor Sax for Jazz, and I toyed around with a school-owned Baritone Sax for random things.

Cookies for Godlessness
    • Usuário
    • Fev 3 2007, 15h49
    Very cool. I have much respect for the people in marching band. It takes more coordination that I could ever hope to have.

• Nicd disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 13 2007, 12h31
    I listen to whatever I like and whatever makes me feel good at the moment. The lyrics are mostly secondary (maybe because most of my tracks don't have any <.<), but "evil" lyrics don't usually make me feel good and I don't like metal (the prime stereotypical example), so that cuts it down anyway. In fact I listen to very little gospel, mainly old tracks by the World Wide Message Tribe, since I like electronic music in general. Modern gospel is all in the rap/rock/metal direction, which I rarely listen to, if at all. :/

So no, being a christian does not limit my listening habits, it actually has just widened the range of bands I listen to.

• ISoS disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 13 2007, 12h47
    DiddL said:

Slayer is hardly and Antichristian band, Slayer is a gimmic nothing more. Christians are not allowed to listen to Black Metal however, unless they support their own demise.

My other half: Anath
    Read Black/Death Metal reviews here!: Subjected to Metal
    • Nicd disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 13 2007, 12h51
    My friend listens to black metal, and is a christian. <_< Nothing wrong with that.

• ISoS disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 13 2007, 17h58
    Nicd said:
    My friend listens to black metal, and is a christian. <_< Nothing wrong with that.

Then your friend does not follow Christ. your friend supports that your faith is wrong.

My other half: Anath
    Read Black/Death Metal reviews here!: Subjected to Metal
    • RdX disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 13 2007, 18h27
    Heh.. I know a few Christian black metal bands that witness in their music. You bet they follow Christ...

• They may follow Christ, but their music is terrible and unoriginal.

Cookies for Godlessness
    • RdX disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 13 2007, 19h08
    Agreed, but that has little to do with this subject. ;)

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.