Fórum » General Discussion

Why do most bands use an ampersand except for an "and"?

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 15 2011, 20h10

Why do most bands use an ampersand except for an "and"?

I need your help ASAP, do you know how many times I had this problem?

• Usuário
    • Ago 15 2011, 21h29
    Probably the same reason people type ne1 instead of anyone, ur instead of you're and your, LOL instead of *laughs out loud*, etc.

What's the problem? Backspace, delete, ctrl+x, ctrl+c and ctrl+v all broken on your keyboard? Mouse broken too?

• lawynd disse...
    • Assinante
    • Ago 15 2011, 21h34
    To be fair, the former has an etymology from Latin whereas the latter(s) are lazy and cultural shifts respectively. ROFLMAOPOHS.

Official recorder of Schrödinger's Tampon.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
  • Re: Why do most bands use an ampersand except for an "and"?

HankMulder said:
    I need your help ASAP, do you know how many times I had this problem?

Firstly - no, I don't know how many times you've had this problem. I assume a lot?

Secondly, I really don't know what I can do to help you (ASAP or otherwise).

If I was in a band like Gypsy & The Cat, Mumford & Sons or Eyedea & Abilities et. al.. I would change the "&" to "and" just for you, I hate seeing you like this.

In fact, I'd go further and do the world a service and disband Mumford & Sons.

Then there would be one less band using "&" instead of "and" and you might be a little bit more happy with yourself.

But I can't do that, so instead I made you a cupcake, please enjoy.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

"You may not be interested in The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table, but The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table is interested in you." - Leon Trotsky.
  • Perhaps it is to eliminate confusion when listing bands in articles, ect. or even mentioning two in the same breath? Such as Last.fm suggeting a band "similar to Matt and Kim and Beck" (otherwise written Matt & Kim and Beck). Because, when the syntax is less confusing, the ampersand does not need to be there, such as in the band Margot & the Nuclear So and So's (an ampersand at the first junction is more necessary than one at the second conjunction). Perhaps, another thought, it also makes it obvious when two bands work in collaboration as opposed to each contributing individually (as in, the band The Octopus Project & Black Moth Super Rainbow). There are those bands that simply use "and" still, though. Such as Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. Though again, you occasionally find an artist using neither "and" nor an ampersand, such as Florence + the Machine. I would suggest the "to avoid confusion" hypothesis with a nod towards aesthetical choice.

• Usuário
    • Ago 16 2011, 7h28
    I love the ampersand. Such a noble and misunderstood character.

&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&

• Usuário
    • Ago 16 2011, 11h06
    If you love it so much just get a room.

• Usuário
    • Ago 16 2011, 11h46
    HankMulder said:
    If you love it so much just get a room.

Way ahead of you Hank.

• ^ I don't think the ampersand would go in for something that gaudy.

So, to try and help out Hank, I did some research. Here is what I found...

The ampersand (&) is an often over-used abbreviation for the word 'and'. Its use should be limited to a few situations.

We use an ampersand:
    - in certain company names; e.g. Smith & Jones Consulting;
    - if space is very limited; e.g. in a table with a lot of text;
    - when artistic considerations dictate; e.g. a logo;
    - in some academic references; e.g. (Grant & Smith, 1998).

Do not use an ampersand in general writing simply to abbreviate the word 'and'.

For example, we write:

- We need to reorder toner cartridges and paper.

not:

- We need to reorder toner cartridges & paper.

Based on this, I'd say the ampersand is used by bands for "artistic considerations". Much like SaltComplex alluded to...

SaltComplex said:
    I would suggest the "to avoid confusion" hypothesis with a nod towards aesthetical choice.

Hank, I hope this (and the cupcake) helped.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

"You may not be interested in The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table, but The Ancient (Dis)Order of the Last FM Platinum Round Table is interested in you." - Leon Trotsky.
    • Bloopy disse...
    • Forum Moderator
    • Ago 22 2011, 21h13
    Because they're delicious.

But seriously, they're just lazy and like using abbreviations. It only annoys me when bands aren't consistent. Then you get situations where bands like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have their name spelled one way on Last.fm and a different way on MusicBrainz, and it makes me want to run around violently with a knife and punctuate things.

• Usuário
    • Ago 22 2011, 22h00
    Blind, Torture & Kill

• Usuário
    • Ago 23 2011, 11h11
    Noctem_Aeternam said:
    Blind, Torture & Kill

• Usuário
    • Ago 23 2011, 17h10
    Ampersands are cool.

• Even though this thread is dead...

Leave my a's alone.
  • graaaaaaace said:
    Even though this thread is dead...

Posting dead links in dead threads, nice one Grace :P

"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent"

- Victor Hugo
    • Usuário
    • Mai 19 2012, 14h33
    Since this thread has been magically de-necro-ized,
    the term am-per-sand is said to originate from "And Per Se",
    signifying that an "And" itself is to be inserted in the text.
    The glyph '&' is a concatenation of the letters e and t, representing et.
    Maybe the extra-terrestrials are here? :D

& & & & & & & & & &
    & & & & & & & & & &
    . . . .
    . . . .
    [^] [^] [^] [^]

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.