Fórum » General Discussion

50 Films To See Before You Die

• 50 Films To See Before You Die

Doesn't have to be in particular order, takes too long :P

1. Apocalypse Now [Francis Ford Coppola]
    2. Chinatown [Dir. Roman Polanski, Starring Jack Nicholson]
    3. 2001: A Space Odyssey [Dir. Stanely Kubrick]
    4. North By Northwest [Dir. Alfred Hitchcock, Starring Cary Grant and James Mason]
    5. Psycho [Dir. Alfred Hitchcock]
    6. Alfie (1966) [Starring Michael Caine] (Actually hard to pick between great films Caine's been in)
    7. The Deer Hunter [Starring Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, Meryl Streep]
    8. Blade Runner [Dir. Ridley Scott, Starring Harrison Ford]
    9. The Thing [Dir. John Carpenter]
    10. Barry Lyndon [Dir. Stanely Kubrick]
    11. Aguirre: The Wrath of God [Dir. Werner Herzog]
    12. This Sporting Life [Starring Richard Harris]
    13. Brazil [Dir. Terry Gilliam]
    14. Taxi Driver [Dir. Scorsese, Starring Robert de Niro]
    15. The Godfather [Dir. Francis Ford Coppola, Starring Al Paccino, Robert Duvall]
    16. Terminator 2: Judgment Day [Starring Arnie =P]
    17. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly [Dir Sergio Leone, starring Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach]

18. The Shining [Dir. Stanely Kubrick, Starrign Jack Nicholson]
    19. Hero [Starring Jet Li]
    20. Heavenly Creatures [Dir. Peter Jackson, Starring a young Kate Winslet]
    21. A Clockwork Orange [Dir. Stanely Kubrick]
    22. Pan's Labyrinth [Dir. Guillermo del Toro]
    23. Donnie Darko [Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore]
    24. Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) [Dir. Ingmar Bergman]
    25. The Producers [Dir. Mel Brooks, Starring Gene Wilder]
    26. Der Himmel über Berlin or the Wings of Desire
    27. Pulp Fiction [Dir. Quentin Tarantino]
    28. The Crow [Starring Brandon Lee and Michael Wincott]
    29. The Field [Starring Richard Harris, Brenda Fricker, Sean Bean, John Hurt]
    30. The Royal Tenenbaums [Dir.Wes Anderson, Starring Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Bill Murray]
    31. Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries) [Dir. Ingmar Bergman]
    32. Fitzcarraldo [Dir. Werner Herzog]
    33. Odd Man Out [Starring James Mason]
    34. Hunger [Dir. Steve McQueen, Starring Michael Fassbender]

35. Fahrenheit 9/11 [Dir. Michael Moore]
    36. The Mission [Starring Robert de Niro, Jeremy Irons, Liam Neeson]
    37. Withnail and I [Starring Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann, Ralph Brown, Richard Griffith]
    38. There Will Be Blood [Starring Daniel Day-Lewis]
    39. Last Tango In Paris [Starring Marlon Brando]
    40. The Wind That Shakes the Barley [Dir. Ken Loach,Starring Cillian Murphy]
    41. The Crying Game [Starring Stephen Rea, Miranda Richardson, Forest Whitaker]
    42. Le Salaire de la peur (The Wages of Fear) 1953 [Dir. Henri-Georges Clouzot]
    43. The Matrix [Starring Keanu Reeves]
    44. The Wicker Man(1973) [Starring Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward, Britt Erkland]
    45. Monty Python and the Holy Grail [Monty Python]
    46. Monty Python's Life of Brian [Monty Python]
    47. The Commitments [Based on the book by Roddy Doyle]
    48. Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) [Dir. John Carpenter]
    49. Night of the Living Dead (1968) [Dir. George A. Romero]
    50. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas [Dir. Terry Gilliam, Starring Johnny Depp, Benicio Del Toro, Tobey Maguire]

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 11 2010, 16h24
    i've watched 17 of those. but you missed:

Scarface
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Trainspotting
    Unforgiven

:P

• I've seen 20 of those films, but it needs Aliens and the Abyss

Scarface
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Unforgiven

That

and

Machete > all of those films

• The Silence Of The Lambs
    Lagaan
    The Shawshank Redemption

• NFXFSX disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 11 2010, 17h16
    Aliens
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight
    Goldfinger
    Inglourious Basterds
    Bourne Trilogy

• i have alot of movies to see it seems

forgot

fight club
    Schindler list
    green mile
    inception
    shashank redemption

By too many hands
    Touching where I stand
    And I can't fall
    Because you'll try and catch me
    • kkkoen disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 11 2010, 17h31
    Most of those I don't know or didn't like :/

• Pulp Fiction is the shit!

Angry Spade Clothing Co.
    Tees for $9.99 all month long!
  • erikabitesss said:
    The Silence Of The Lambs
    Lagaan
    The Shawshank Redemption

very wise!!! :D Morgan Freeman would be my number one choice to narrate my life...actually, a trade off with him and Mr. Walken

I never liked reading these kinds of lists or similar ones (top 50 albums, guitar players) just because they are often filled with movies that I think are crap and miss other great movies. These lists often come out as being objective when it's subjective and all based on taste.

With that said, I will be checking out some of those movies I have not seen.

• Oniren disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 11 2010, 17h44
    I agree with Shawshank Redemption. Also, there needs to be some love for Mel Brooks.

Pulp Fiction and Donnie Darko should not be on the list. Nor should The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. It should be replaced with The Outlaw Josie Wales or any of Clint Eastwood's five Dirty Harry movies.

"And the lights, Turn them off my friend
    And the ghosts, We'll just let them in
    Cause in the dark, It's easier to see" - When the Crowds Are Gone, Savatage
  • after looking over his list a second time... theres alot of good ones..
    but yes it is objective.

scarface...

gah to manny good movies to pick. should be a list of movies to see before you die... i'd nnever have the time to see any of these till i retire ( 36 years)

By too many hands
    Touching where I stand
    And I can't fall
    Because you'll try and catch me
  • Space Jam!

• HebMT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 11 2010, 18h45
    They aren't necessarily the greatest movies ever, but they are the ones that entertained me the most. In no particular order:

Dark City
    The Truman Show
    A Clockwork Orange
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Shining
    2001 A Space Odyssey
    The Departed
    Inception
    Dark Knight
    Batman Begins
    The Matrix
    The Silence of The Lambs
    American Gangster
    John Q
    The Last Samurai
    The Green Mile
    LOTR Trilogy
    Star Wars (ep1-6)
    Gladiator
    The Crow
    Man on Fire
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Dumb and Dumber
    Cinderalla Man
    Chinatown
    L.A. Confidential
    Forrest Gump
    Training Day
    The Pelican Brief
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Remember the Titans
    Enemy Of The State
    The Expendables
    Catch Me If You Can
    The Da VInci Code
    Meet The Parents
    Toy Story
    Pulp Fiction
    Monsters Inc.
    The Incredibles
    Heat
    The Bourne Trilogy
    And there's more, though I can't remember them at this point.

Basically, I love Tony/Ridley Scott and Stanley Kubrick films. I absolutely adore Pixar movies also. And some of my favorite actors are Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Russell Crowe, Jack Nicholson, Sylvester Stallone, Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Will Smith and Morgan Freeman, of course!

• Yes well my list has clearly subjective items and some which are always going to be in everyones top 50 no matter who you are =D

symphonyno9 said:
    i've watched 17 of those. but you missed:

Scarface
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Trainspotting
    Unforgiven

:P

I know but it isn't top 54.

Unforgiven i was going to add, amazing but i had the good, the bad and the ugly =P which trumps all western or spaghetti western films for me :D

Scarface was never going to be in the top 50, it's essentially a film about cursing...first time I watched it I thought that was the point of the film :D

Trainspotting i didn't want to add to offend PorridgeGun cus he thought I thought it was an accurate and faithful portrayal of Edinburgh lol

Oniren said:
    I agree with Shawshank Redemption. Also, there needs to be some love for Mel Brooks.

Pulp Fiction and Donnie Darko should not be on the list. Nor should The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. It should be replaced with The Outlaw Josie Wales or any of Clint Eastwood's five Dirty Harry movies.

Ahhh well...Yes maybe Dirty harry should be in there, donnio darko should be in there, it's one of the best independent films ever made, with some clever casting, great setting [I guess I love the 80's, Swayze's fucking in it]. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly a lot of people haven't actually seen and it culminates in the graveyard to one of the most iconic scenes in cinema history. The film is unbeatable, it keeps giving.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Love it, the acting is sublime, the ending is heart wrenching but I thought there was some kind of large focus on Nicholson, almost like his performance is better than the film itself. And I added one or two films I think with Nicholson in them so i'm clear shh :D I think his acting is better in them but doesn't actually overpower the film.

Shawshank Redemption I should have added but I didn't know who else to squeeze out, I enjoyed the film but others have taken over since.

An important failure of my list to omit basically all animated films but then I consider most of the animation even Toy Story which is more human than a lot of films and is a Holy Grail of cinema.

Furthermore, I thought i'd've added lord of the rings but then i'd have to add dark knight and star wars and really they are blockbusters which everyone has probably seen, like a large portion of each age group whereas actually, some of my list a lot of adults haven't got around to seeing. Most of my top 50 some of my friends haven't even heard of and they're grown men and women. They've def. saw Lord of the Rings and Hot Fuzz though =P Somehow i don't think that qualifies them to be in the top 50 films you must see before you croak, maybe top 100. Also on the subject, Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures is more suited for a top 50 than LOTR, not widely seen but an incredible story and also some techniques [the beginnings of WETA] which would be used in LOTR.

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    Editado por DaddyPobbin em Set 12 2010, 0h12
    • jsam93 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 12 2010, 0h12
    I watched District 9 earlier. That is a brilliant film

• oWut disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 12 2010, 0h13
    hmmm movie "avatar" is the highest grossing movie of all time and i dont even see it on your list? (it is in 3d)

• I only need to see about 4 of those films, the rest I've seen.

Is this a personal list of your DP, or taken from somewhere?

• oWut said:
    hmmm movie "avatar" is the highest grossing movie of all time and i dont even see it on your list? (it is in 3d)

It's terrible

But then i did go see it because of the hype and breaking the ground with 3D in big production films.

I added James Cameron's Terminator 2 which kicks James Cameron's Avatar's ass. Avatar is beyond overrated, you'd go see it to be impressed and fails on a lot of levels.

District 9, heard that floating about, yeah see it before you die, at least it has more of an original take on immigration/migration and apartheid than Avatar does with American foreign policy.

Editado por DaddyPobbin em Set 12 2010, 0h25
    • HebMT disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 12 2010, 0h21
    oWut said:

Because it doesn't deserve a spot on the list. It's only fancy 3d with some crappy story.

• BigBlueTJ said:
    i have alot of movies to see it seems

forgot

fight club
    Schindler list
    green mile
    inception
    shashank redemption

Haven't seen Inception yet, but I LOVE the others that you mentioned.

• HebMT said:
    oWut said:

Because it doesn't deserve a spot on the list. It's only fancy 3d with some crappy story.

This, it's Ferngully basically

• Someone said to me "Nothing happens in 2001: A Space Odyssey" today. I sat for about a minute trying not to slap some sense into them. Firstly Space Odyssey documents the dawn of man to the zenith of man's achievement [somehow "nothing" becomes "Everything"]. Secondly Man discovers a superior sentient intelligence which actually turns out triggered man's evolution. Thirdly AI [Artificial Intelligence] in the form of HAL is explored, interstaller-faster than the speed of light travel is featured in the trippiest movie scene ever. Finally, it's Kubrick, it's more about the photography, the visuals than pithy dialogue. The aesthetics speak for themselves. I literally think they said "nothing happens" because no one falls in love and some blue aliens aren't flying on winged beasts. It's based around Nietzsche's philosophical evolution of Man. And honestly the opening? 'Also Sprach Zarathustra'? It's amazing. Dislike it all you like but 'nothing happens' is just in error. *Fold Arms and huffs*

• Happy Gilmore.
    The Wedding Singer.

• DaddyPobbin said:
    Trainspotting i didn't want to add to offend PorridgeGun cus he thought I thought it was an accurate and faithful portrayal of Edinburgh lol

heh, PaddyD responding to yellowcarpet:
    DaddyPobbin said:
    Meh maybe I took Trainspotting too literal a portrayal of Edinburgh.

But go ahead :P

Yours truely (a couple of days later, no less) adding my two cents:
    PorridgeGun said:
    Some unexpectedly daft comments on this thread, not to mention a few unintentional laughs.

It's amusing how many non-Scots rate Trainspotting (book and film) so highly, and actually take it seriously. The cult of Trainspotting inadvertently boils down to two things: 1. Heroin is cool, 2. Cool Britannia! Nevermind that it glamorizes thugs and smack addicts, which was typical of the times (Pulp Fiction, Oasis, Britpop)...

• Oniren disse...
    • Usuário
    • Set 12 2010, 3h16
    DaddyPobbin said:
    Ahhh well...Yes maybe Dirty harry should be in there, donnio darko should be in there, it's one of the best independent films ever made, with some clever casting, great setting [I guess I love the 80's, Swayze's fucking in it]. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly a lot of people haven't actually seen and it culminates in the graveyard to one of the most iconic scenes in cinema history. The film is unbeatable, it keeps giving.

I didn't find The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly terrible, but my biggest complaint and most annoying feature was the overly long 'dramatic' scenes where they're just staring each other down before the gunfights. I swear, the last one seemed to last a full five minutes with nothing happening.

"And the lights, Turn them off my friend
    And the ghosts, We'll just let them in
    Cause in the dark, It's easier to see" - When the Crowds Are Gone, Savatage
    Editado por Oniren em Set 12 2010, 5h59
Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.