Fórum » General Discussion

What book or books are you reading?

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 17h09
    Currently reading A Feast For Crows by George R.R. Martin.

Just finished re-reading the Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea.

Good stuff! :-D

• seecup41 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 18h07
    I am reading "Requiem for a Dream" by Hubert Selby Jr. Im about halfway through the book right now, and dont really see why people are saying the book is the most disturbing thing they've ever read.

Its a good book, but I dont understand the hype. Perhaps I have to get through more of it.

I also refuse to see the movie before I read the book.

• Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 20h12
    Quoth Sarey:

I've just started The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco and I'm loving it so far.

Oh, good choice. Not only do you learn a scary amount about the religious politics of 14th century Europe (it's fun, honest), you also get a pretty decent detective story too. One of my favourites.

Personally, I'm (re-)reading The Inheritors by William Golding. Read it at school *cough* years ago; be interesting to see what I make of it now.

• Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 21h19
    i recently finished "the kite runner"... good but not the most well written of books... interesting read, though.

now i'm working on gene sharp's "the politics of nonviolent action" which i highly recomend to anyone interested in nonviolence.

i'm looking for a new novel to get into. i tried to get into "the wind up bird chronicle" and just freaking hated it. aldkjalkfdj.

• I've read a series of dystopian novels over the past few months: The Giver, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, and 1984. I could be forgetting something.

I'm planning to read Life of Pi in the near future. I think I've read it at least three times already - never gets old for me.

• Re:

Quoth seecup41:

i tried that for a while once. it's a great way to ruin almost every movie based on a book you will ever watch.

at least it was for me, until i started getting into photography and appreciating the more technical aspects of filmmaking and cinematography.

Bring your Droogs down to the Korova Milk Bar. | Cheers to ALCOHOL. | Also, a group about webcomics: Webcomics.
  • I wanted to re-read some of my childhood books so I just finished this (it's a great read, rather sad):

My next book will probably be this (also one of my favourite author):

• Re:

Quoth NymphAquarius:
    Just finished re-reading the Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea.

Good stuff! :-D

Illuminatus! iF N O R Ds the shit.

i could reaF N O R Dd that bF N O R Dook over F N O R D and oveF N O R Dr again.

ever read "Principia Discordia"?

Bring your Droogs down to the Korova Milk Bar. | Cheers to ALCOHOL. | Also, a group about webcomics: Webcomics.
  • Re: Re:

Quoth danielronin:
    Quoth seecup41:

i tried that for a while once. it's a great way to ruin almost every movie based on a book you will ever watch.

at least it was for me, until i started getting into photography and appreciating the more technical aspects of filmmaking and cinematography.

I watched the Forrest Gump movie many times. I thought it was awesome, so I decided to read to book.
    To my surprise, the book was horrible and I'm astonished that it was made into such a great movie.

Kudos to Robert Zemeckis for a job well done.

• smutek disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 23h10

lovely!

x
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 23h18
    I just finished "Hello, Is Anybody There?" by Jostein Gaarder. It's great.

Editado por um usuário excluído em Dez 3 2005, 23h35
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 23h18
    accidental double post

• reflexer disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 4 2005, 0h00

Re:Re:

Quoth Sarey:
    Quoth reflexer:
    Just finished "Perfume: The story of a murderer" by Patrick Süskind.

Is that the book that's being made into a movie by Tom Tykwer?

yes, it is. filming currently takes place in Barcelona I believe, not 100% sure though. having just read the book I've got mixed feelings towards the possibility of a good conversion into a movie though... we'll see.

• The chronicles of Narnia. All of them. =D
    And almost done, too!

And after that I'm planning to read eh.. let me find the title.

Douglas adams - The deeper meaning of Liff.

The updated, revised edition of "The Meaning of Liff", with illustrations from "Private Eye" cartoonist Bert Kitchen.

• accadia disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 4 2005, 0h47
    R.K. Narayan - The English Teacher
    Bill Bryson - Made In America

• sinewy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 4 2005, 1h17
    Rereading “The Last True Story I’ll Ever Tell” by John Crawford.
    I’m also reading “Fight Club” by Chuck Palahniuk.

• They're making a movie of Perfume? :O I'm about 30 pages from the end of it (loving it too) and, well, it just couldn't possibly work as a movie. WTF were they thinking? Arrgh. They just can't leave anything alone, can they?

Anyway, I just finished A Clockwork Orange, which was also brilliant, so I'll have to track down a copy of the movie now.

And as soon as I finish Perfume, I'm getting started on The Count of Monte Cristo.

Probably better go finish Perfume now actually...

• stephtar disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 4 2005, 4h34
    just finished yesterday.. and then there were none

• Just finished reading Mary Shelleys Frankenstein and Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

Plan on reading A Clockwork Orange next even though I've already seen the movie.

• BOOKS

I am currently reading Tom Wolfe's Electric Acid Koolaid Test
    Next will be The Hitchhikers Guide to the GalaxyI know its a kids book but I have seen the movie and decided to read the book

• Re: BOOKS

Quoth Electromancer:
    Next will be The Hitchhikers Guide to the GalaxyI know its a kids book

it may be accessible to kids, but i would hardly call it a "kids book". you'll find the depth of Adams' wit and humour incredibly complex. but i digress, as i imagine you'll change your mind after you read it yourself.

• Re: Re: BOOKS

Quoth danielronin:
    Quoth Electromancer:
    Next will be The Hitchhikers Guide to the GalaxyI know its a kids book

it may be accessible to kids, but i would hardly call it a "kids book". you'll find the depth of Adams' wit and humour incredibly complex. but i digress, as i imagine you'll change your mind after you read it yourself.

Exactly - I'd never call the Hitchhiker's Trilogy a kid's series. Almost all of the humour would be lost on children, surely? :\

• 'Holy Book of the Werewolf' by Viktor Pelevin

• Mortat disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 4 2005, 10h54
    'The Last Continent' from Terry Pratchett <3

About the third time I'm reading it~ Same goes for all his other books ^^; He needs to write a little bit faster to keep up with me -__-

• 'Harry Potter and the half blood prince' by J.K. Rowlings

http://www.google.com/ is your friend. I promise.
Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.