Fórum » General Discussion

What book or books are you reading?

• One Hundred Years of Solitude. I'm about halfway through at the moment. Before that it was Love All the People which is a collection of Bill Hicks' stand-up routines, letters, interviews and so on, which was amazing. I am now completely used to laughing like a drain at things no one else knows about on public transport.

• Just finished reading The Once and Future King by T.H. White.

Currently re-reading All The Myriad Waysby Larry Niven. Some of the best short sci-fi stories ever written.

• reflexer disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 27 2005, 12h36
    Just finished "Perfume: The story of a murderer" by Patrick Süskind.

Next book is this one:

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 27 2005, 13h38
    Touching From A Distance - Ian Curtis & Joy Division.

Written by Ians widow, for those who didn't know. The ultimate Ian-fan-bible. I love it.

• Isn't that the one they are making into the movie about Ian Curtis?

I read The Man in the High Castle yesterday, in a big rush all in one sitting, which is the proper way to read a Philip K. Dick novel. In the forward, he mentioned Speer's Inside the Third Reich as one of the books he used for source material, and later in the day I got a paperback copy of that for 25 cents at a Goodwill thrift store. Guess I'll read that next.

"Just like I knew what I was doing" -- Foe
    • Usuário
    • Nov 27 2005, 14h31

Re:

Quoth Hysteria90:
    The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

YOU BETTER GODDAMN LIKE IT!

• Re:

Quoth foetusized:
    I read The Man in the High Castle yesterday, in a big rush all in one sitting, which is the proper way to read a Philip K. Dick novel.

Yeah, I remember picking up A Scanner Darkly one afternoon and just spending the entire rest of the day devouring it. Great stuff.

• Rodderz disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 27 2005, 18h52
    1984 - George Orwell

utter genius of a book, almost as good as hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, but not quite.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Scrobblerwed to the awesome, the charming, the delactable Father_Bob! (i know how wrong it sounds!)
  • Not quite as realistic?

• madboy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 27 2005, 19h17

Re:

Quoth reflexer:

MAN, that is one of my favourite novels!!!

I am currently reading Do Androids dream of electric sheep?

• Re: Re:

Quoth madboy:

I am currently reading Do Androids dream of electric sheep?

Great book!

• Ah the joys of working at your family owned bookstore!

I just picked up Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart. Hilarious so far!

• Borgasm disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 28 2005, 3h11
    I'm reading While I Live by John Marsden. He's one of my favourite authors and this is so far turning out to be a great follow-up to his Tomorrow series.

Quoth Feanor:
    Ah borgasm. He tries so hard to be the token asshole on the forum, except he's not here often enough so rather than making people angry he makes them laugh at him instead.

A treat for people who are named Michael
  • Just read; 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' by Ernest Hemingway.

Currently re-reading; 'The Queen Of The Damned' by Anne Rice.

janine, xox.

Come as you are, as you were, as I want you to be.
  • Brainwashing by Kathleen Taylor -- whom, might i add, is a really intelligent and well-spoken scientist who signed my book :)

• catbhn21 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 29 2005, 1h17

Re:

Quoth adoptionletters:
    just finished "on the road". not sure what to read next.

did you like it? I read most of it but got kinda bored/too busy. but i could make a reccommendation if you'd like. i lurve books...yum

• freddish disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 29 2005, 3h22
    I'm in the middle of Hunter Thompson's "The Great Shark Hunt" and Oscar Wilde's "The Portrait of Dorian Gray."

• Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 7h51
    i just got done with catch 22 and it was fantastic.

• Sarey disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 8h17

Re:

Quoth reflexer:

Is that the book that's being made into a movie by Tom Tykwer?

I've just started The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco and I'm loving it so far.

Scrobblermarried (again) to nyborjarsvenska. Kicking emo kiddies asses. Old school. | You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, there's only you.
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 9h15
    slaughterhouse V

• The books of a dutch girl

Just finnished Harry Potter VI (in english)

Right now I'm reading Dante Alighieri's "la divina comedia", the dutch translation ofcourse ;)

• because i've been spending too much time online/working it just took me way too long to finish Michael Ruppert's "Crossing the Rubicon (the decline of the american empire at the end of the age of oil)" - not exactly a light read, but well worth it.

tomorrow i'm either going to start Piri Thomas' "Down These Mean Streets"...or re-read Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land".

of course on any given day i flip through a few pages of Legs McNeil's "Please Kill Me", but it's just a bunch of (really well edited) interviews and anecdotes, so i can stand to read it like that.

Bring your Droogs down to the Korova Milk Bar. | Cheers to ALCOHOL. | Also, a group about webcomics: Webcomics.
  • I'm Reading nothing now. I dont like reading...

• Has anybody here read "The Life of Pi"? I've just, just started it and heard from everyone it's fantastic.

"All the dirt and plants and stars were being so noisy that it was hard for her to read."
    (scrobblermarried to ~ethan armstrong :) )
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2005, 17h07
    I'm reading 'The Witches of Chiswick' by Robert Rankin. Going through a bit of a Robert Rankin phase at the moment. I'm also half way through 'Complicity' by Iain Banks.

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.