Fórum » General Discussion

What book or books are you reading?

• East of Eden

http://www.myspace.com/thepeoplesband

...You may like my band.
  • Just finished an omnibus volume of all of C.S. Lewis' Narnia books (all ready for the film to come out), and have been carting around The Man in the High Castle by Phil Dick around for a few days but have not managed to start it yet. Been spending my spare time proofreading stuff for work.

"Just like I knew what I was doing" -- Foe
    • _inhuman disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 21 2005, 19h17

Re:

Quoth Nich16:
    Just read "A Clockwork Orange"... bloody amazing! The language is sooooooooooo goofed, and I just love it. I'm off to get the new Terry Practett book "Thud!" this weekend, I love his books. I'm also just grinding through "Sophie's World," which is very cool, but I just can't read lots of philosophy, as it makes me feel small and depressed...

:D

I loved A Clockwork Orange. I finished it recently and I'm a malenky bit obsessed with the language. Go Nadsat!

A real horrorshow book.

God, I'm cheesy.

Out of your poisons you brewed your balsam; you milked your cow, misery - now you drink the sweet milk of her udder.
  • talking about language

i'm reading russell hoban's 'riddley walker'

hard to get into at first because the language is so messed up and there are no clues as to who or where these people are, but as the reality unfolds it becomes increasingly compulsive. i was going to post a fan site address to raise interest but i reckon it's better read without knowing the synopsis

"sometimes sam sameni sam is wrong!"
  • Re:

Quoth mrshupscrumb:
    russell hoban's 'riddley walker'

Hmmmm. Is it good then? I thought I recognized the name somewhere... I think I may have read The Mouse and His Child once upon a time... I guess this is kind of different though....

aaaanyway, I'm reading THIS:

at the moment, it's strangely compelling...

• Is this the right room for an argument?
  • Re: Re:

Quoth hey_mr_crow:
    Quoth mrshupscrumb:
    russell hoban's 'riddley walker'

Hmmmm. Is it good then? I thought I recognized the name somewhere... I think I may have read The Mouse and His Child once upon a time... I guess this is kind of different though....

it's in a completely different league from 'the mouse and his child' and i can't recommend it highly ennough, or with enough ns

"sometimes sam sameni sam is wrong!"
    • Kyb3r disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 21 2005, 21h32
    I just finished reading 'The Great Gatsby' by 'F Scott Fitzgerald'. I didn't like it too much, except for the killing scene in the last few chapters. Recommended if you like big words.

I'm not reading anything at the moment.

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 21 2005, 21h35
    Just finished a book from Robin Cook

• Katie14 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 21 2005, 21h58
    I finished Down the Rabbit Hole today and I have started on Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald
    [url=]

• Hoffdawg disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 21 2005, 22h11
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Very good.

• Re:

Quoth Nich16:
    Just read "A Clockwork Orange"... bloody amazing!

Quoth Epicentric:
    Besides assorted political texts (Marx/Engels right now), I'm rereading A Clockwork Orange. It's been a while since I last read it, and I didn't really take it in then. It's well worth it.

Quoth _inhuman:
    I loved A Clockwork Orange. I finished it recently and I'm a malenky bit obsessed with the language. Go Nadsat!

Did Russ assigned A Clockwork Orange as required reading or something?

I'm working on The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins and Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks. Both are very good, but lately I've been in a non-fiction mood so Dawkins is getting most of my attention.

"I am firstly a great charlatan, though con brio; secondly, a great charmeur; thirdly, I have any amount of cheek; fourthly, I am a man with a great quantity of logic, but with very few principles; fifthly, I think I have no real gifts." Serge Diaghilev
    • Jayaism disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 22 2005, 1h36
    I just read The Mysterious Stranger, by Mark Twain.

It was weird. I liked it. I think I might write my thesis on it.

I plot for a living.
    ratnerstar said: I like to pretend I'm Humphrey Bogart. Except I'm pretty sure he only shits bullets.
  • Columbia University library, 2010:

(Inter)Textualism And Camus: Deconstructing Existentialism In Twain's "The Mysterious Stranger."
    A thesis by Jayaism

It was weird. I liked it.

The End.

"I am firstly a great charlatan, though con brio; secondly, a great charmeur; thirdly, I have any amount of cheek; fourthly, I am a man with a great quantity of logic, but with very few principles; fifthly, I think I have no real gifts." Serge Diaghilev
  • Fear and Loathing in las Vegas,
    and for school im "reading" Lord of the Flies.
    but im not really reading it at all.

◄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█►▀
    • winoshor disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 22 2005, 2h22

Re:

Quoth Nich16:
    Just read "A Clockwork Orange"... bloody amazing! The language is sooooooooooo goofed, and I just love it.

The weird words are actually real Russian words written in English.

• Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson - G.I Gurdjieff.

na kavacam nargala stotram
    kilakam na rahasyakam
    na suktam napi dhyanam
    ca na nyaso na ca varcanam

http://theoldkingdom.wordpress.com/
    • [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 22 2005, 2h44
    1984- George Orwell

pw3nage

• Oldbean disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 22 2005, 3h13

• I hate reading. If I was forced to read though, I'd read 1984 again.

• Who would force you to read? Big Brother?

• ^ 8)

I've just finished "Ana Karenina" by L.Tolstoi (I don't know whether I spell it correct. It's "Ана Каренина" in cyrilic). Now I intend to read "Wuthering heights"(Emily Bronte) as I began to read love-stories recently ;)

• Yesterday i begin The long Walk by stephen King and i like very much.I like this auhtor beacause it's really funny and he recreate perfectly the emotions and the fears and it's a few scrary...

Want to be wonderful in th world
    • Nich16 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 22 2005, 16h37

Re: Re:

Quoth winoshor:
    Quoth Nich16:
    Just read "A Clockwork Orange"... bloody amazing! The language is sooooooooooo goofed, and I just love it.

The weird words are actually real Russian words written in English.

Yeah, I realised that, I read the foreword ;) It's just really unusual to have language like that... I really loved it... No wait, it was horrorshow! ;)

<insert immature remark here>
    • catbhn21 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 22 2005, 16h46

Re: Re:

Quoth hey_mr_crow:

aaaanyway, I'm reading THIS:

at the moment, it's strangely compelling...

Are all of his drugs about heroin? (books i mean. god...) I read Naked Lunch and felt obliged to complete it but was rather repulsed by the majority of it.

Quoth AnIndexOfMetals:
    Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson - G.I Gurdjieff.

I went to get that out of the library and it was either checked out or in storage. I'm pissed...

Also, I just read the Crying of Lot 49. So so. I read The English Patient for my lit class. Amazing. Suprisingly. And I'm reading a lot about Guatemala and Africa. Bah humbug. Research papers. Cat's Cradle is next and 100 Years of Solitude after that. Besides my lit books. Whoo hoo. I'm gonna miss having a lit class next semester. I won't read anything on my own time I'm afraid...

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.