Fórum » Feedback and Ideas

Requesting the return of Recommended Reading

• VelBG disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 22 2008, 13h03
    Maybe there could be a 'featured jounals' page on which the best journals in certain categories are chosen?

Either way, bring back recommended reading!

• gwalla said:
    When the Recommended Reading page was taken down, it was replaced with a message saying that the new site was going to replace it with an improved version. However, the new site doesn't have anything like it at all.

Actually, it didn't mention the new site at all, simply that an improved system was being worked on

I'd hope that bringing it back is a no-brainer (even if it has to wait a bit while some other issues get sorted out).

• antiphon disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 22 2008, 17h00
    I'd forgotten about Recommended Reading. It was indeed great (memes aside, but Greasemonkey dealt with that) so I'd love to see it back, too.

• I'd rather see journals that link to particular artists back on the front of an artist (or song, or album) page. I post a journal that has had a lot of casual readers in the past, and the current structure - hiding them away - will effectively obliterate what had become a useful place to write about music. Shame.

• amodelofcontrol said:
    I'd rather see journals that link to particular artists back on the front of an artist (or song, or album) page. I post a journal that has had a lot of casual readers in the past, and the current structure - hiding them away - will effectively obliterate what had become a useful place to write about music. Shame.
    Agreed, good point.

Windows 8.1 Professional // EAC | foobar2000 // FLAC Compression Level 8

• djej1 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 29 2008, 5h08
    I agree that recommended reading should be brought back.

• I wish they'd bring back the feature where the journals used to be on the front page. You would write a journal and get 50+ responses all the time! I miss it bad...:(

• Babs_05 disse...
    • Moderador
    • Jul 29 2008, 15h11
    clarkyscored said:
    I wish they'd bring back the feature where the journals used to be on the front page. You would write a journal and get 50+ responses all the time! I miss it bad...:(

It used to be brilliant. That's what got me exploring the site. Miss it too.

• lau1 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 29 2008, 20h14
    I really Liked the reading feature Now you don't even the journals from your friends or groups. I don't use the radio feature often as I leave my collection on random running most of the time.

my drinking team has a rugby problem
    • gwalla disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 30 2008, 1h07
    Now that there is no recommended reading, and journals neither show up on the front page or on band pages, there's really no point in writing journal posts because nobody will ever see them.

• If they brought this feature back and nothing else, I'd be satisfied enough.

• Babs_05 disse...
    • Moderador
    • Jul 30 2008, 17h42
    I just noticed that, when you look at Groups pages, you can see recent activity, including submitted journals. Just noticed it just now. :)

(now, if I could just search my thousand million groups more easily.... ;D )

• Related to journals, does anybody know whats up with journal comments? It seems like they haven't been able to be formatted since the switch. I hope this isn't permanent.

Winner's write the history books while Losers bury the dead.
  • I'm for anything that will make journals easier to find. They're pretty much invisible right now.

• amodelofcontrol said:
    I'd rather see journals that link to particular artists back on the front of an artist (or song, or album) page. I post a journal that has had a lot of casual readers in the past, and the current structure - hiding them away - will effectively obliterate what had become a useful place to write about music. Shame.

+1 agree

Like Minimal Techno? ---> You'll love High on Electronic Music
    Have diverse and non-mainstream taste in music? ---> See if you qualify for The 1 Percenters group....
  • My favourite aspect apart from the scrobbler itself was being able to read and write journal entries. You can still technically do that, but without being able to find other peoples or other people being able to find yours its not a very useful feature.
    Without recommended reading, last.fm seems a much less social and much less interesting site.
    The update has dropped some of the site's MOST IMPORTANT functionality and something that actually drew more people to physically visit rather than just install the software and forget about it.
    A comment from last.fm is definitely needed!

• +1 for the return of recommended reading.

Just tried looking for journals to read and it wasn't much fun.

Band pages need a link to journals related to them on the front page, like Events and Users have. The journal page presenting the whole of each journal is just un-navigable, scrolling through pages of "Bands I've Seen Live" and other memes to find any meaningful content is annoying and tedious, it would be far better to have a list somewhere of titles of journals which would make it easier to sift through for actual reviews or thought-provoking pieces.

The Journal entries should also be far more prominent on user profile pages, they used to be up front and central, where you could quickly see if a user wrote a lot of journals, and could quickly look through them. Now they are skulking away in a corner of the page, it's quite frankly ridiculous that the journals I export to Facebook are more prominent on my Facebook profile than they are in the profile of the website I wrote them on. I'd suggest putting them directly under the "about me" section on the right hand column as most peoples journals are probably quite effective for telling people "about them".

Given that Last.fm is meant to be about the "Social Music Revolution" why is the social aspect being pushed to the back of the websites functionality. I understand the development and release of the new website has caused problems that need resolving. I'm sure when the Beta version of the site was running I remember seeing a users tab in the top navigation bar with a comment that it was still being worked on when you clicked on it, it would be nice to know if the social aspect of the site is still being developed and what plans Last have for advancing the social aspects of the site.

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 1 2008, 13h59
    glad to see I'm not the only one that missed this feature...

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 2 2008, 21h32
    As things are now, journals are almost pointless. It would take quite a bit work to see if your friends are posting new journals let alone read them. Aside from that there is virtually no way to explore journals from other last.fm users. It's quite disappointing to me and has taken a good deal of the social aspect of the site away. I really hope that last.fm decides to bring back the recommended reading feature.

• I never really used the feature because so many people used to just post quizzes. I hardly ever saw proper entries.

• gwalla disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 2 2008, 22h42
    @runwithvampires: Then this topic does not affect you in any way. Why are you posting?

• gwalla said:
    @runwithvampires: Then this topic does not affect you in any way. Why are you posting?

Because this a suggestion which means people can be either for or against the idea...

I'm against bringing it back because I never found it useful.

There's no need to be rude.

• gwalla disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 2 2008, 23h59
    runwithvampires said:
    Because this a suggestion which means people can be either for or against the idea...
    Yes, but you didn't give any reason why bringing it back would be bad. Your rationale is, at most, a reason for you to be personally apathetic.

I'm against bringing it back because I never found it useful.So, just because you never found it useful, it doesn't matter that other people did? Are you really that self-centered, or were you just not thinking?

If and when it returns, nobody will force you to use it.

• MrModernRock said:
    Related to journals, does anybody know whats up with journal comments? It seems like they haven't been able to be formatted since the switch. I hope this isn't permanent.
    Yeah I've noticed that too :(

Windows 8.1 Professional // EAC | foobar2000 // FLAC Compression Level 8

• Any news on this?

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.