Fórum » Feedback and Ideas

New and upcoming album releases feed

• behlert disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 8 2008, 12h37

New and upcoming album releases feed

I would love to see an RSS feed announcing new and upcoming album releases from artists that I listen to. This would be a bit like the "Recommended Events" feed, but for the release of new recorded material.

new and upcoming music releases from the artists you listen to
    http://www.soundamus.net
    • DFA1979 disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 8 2008, 12h42
    Can't really be done, the data only arrives when the tracks are actually scrobbled by users, so knowing in advance when artists are going to release an album just isn't possible, by the time the tracks make it to last.fm the album's already released.

• behlert disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 8 2008, 13h57
    The data is out there somewhere. On Amazon I can get a list of all the releases coming during any of the next few weeks. For example, here are 699 releases scheduled for the week of February 5:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?rs=301668&page=1&rh=n%3A301668%2Cp_69%3A28y-34y&sort=-releasedate

Now I just want to filter this list by my last.fm artist list and get a feed.

Yes, this goes beyond using scrobbled data, as do other important useful features of last.fm (aren't we already grabbing album information from outside sources like musicbrainz). I compared the idea to the events feed... "knowing in advanced when artists are going to release an album" is probably easier then knowing in advanced when an artist is going to be in concert in a particular city. (Unfortunatly the weakness of events feature seems to be lack of automatic aggregation of events data from external sources).

• behlert disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 8 2008, 14h28
    I've done a bit more digging and, in fact, it appears to be trivial to implement using Amazon Associates Web Service...

• [spam]

[spam]

Editado por hjbardenhagen em Fev 6 2011, 17h16
  • It has been opted before. I will try to explain the problems (again).
    Amazon is a quite large and well known institute. Last.FM has perhaps a nice broad group of users, but not all the labels see the benefits (yet). Unfortunatly the cooperation of these labels is needed to get a nice list like the one Amazon is presenting (and I bet the list could be longer if Amazon would sell albums from the smaller European labels as well). Until that time a feature like the one you hope to see is crippled, to put it nicely... if only because of all the scheduled releases that are not yet known and thus not fed to whatever feed you would like to use, generating loads of complaints.

The option to have the users add new albums? Have you ever browsed all the picture-pages of the more popular artists? Have you seen the number of doubled pictures there? Or the number of doubled events? If it wasn't for the moderators, I guess you could choose between at least 7 gigs by Radiohead at any given night of a tour, and there would be at least 150 pages of Britney-pics... with some being uploaded some 50 times. Because that is what happens now already...
    We have enough work, without having to google every possible new release by every known artist. And I haven't even touched the option that an album is not official, but a bootlegged one, or a scene-release, a leaked official, a stolen master...

Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
  • Being a moderator at MusicBrainz in addition to here believe me when I say a huge portion of the albums that users take it upon themselves to announce are bogus, or change before release. Many people at MB are of the belief that no album should even be entered there until after the official release date so we can verify it truly exists as it should.

As it is a special category of "bootleg" albums needed to be created for illegal bootlegs that show up from foreign distributors outside the country of release that are not actual releases. Many of those albums of course are not legal to be sold and when copies of it are found they're confiscated and destroyed. Imagine the complaints when last.fm posts "In Rainbows 2: Adrien's Revenge" only for people to find out it was a bogus SonMay release of B-sides and covers, and it's not available for sale.

And even with all of those MB rules in place people still constantly try to create album profiles for "albums that only exist as some torrent compilation at an illegal download site.

Seems like one a week somebody is trying to enter Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Greatest Hits, which is composed of about 50% Me First tracks and 50% mis-attributed covers from other groups that were mis-attributed as far back as the days of Napster.

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• emayoh disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 11 2008, 21h55
    Sounds like what behlert might like to try to do is use Yahoo! Pipes to take your last.fm artist list, cross reference it with any existing new releases feed out there -- and report any matches between the two.

Mashup anyone?

• behlert disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 12 2008, 14h08
    The problem, again, is finding a comprehensive new releases feed. Please fill us in if you know of any. I searched just a bit for this and found only very weak threads. Aggregating all of these would get messy and would still not be enough.

I have started working an implementation using Amazon AWA. Amazon has the most comprehensive release data out there and it is exposed cleanly though an API. Unfortunatly, the service doesn't allow the type of query needed for a quick mashup, so this will take me a few more hours than I originally hoped for. I will share when I have something...

• emayoh disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 14 2008, 21h37
    behlert .. I assume you saw this?

http://www.bernzilla.com/item.php?id=494

Someone else doing what you're looking for?

• How are the upcoming concerts done? I thought they were user submitted. Anyway, to detract people from submitting phony albums, add the ability for it to be self-moderated by the users. First off, only allow people who several months of scrobbling to submit albums, and take away their ability to submit albums if they violate that. Next have other people be able to confirm the authenticity of the album and if enough people say it's fake then penalize the original poster.

But seriously, an upcoming albums/release chart would just be amazing and probably the strongest asset to the site.

• behlert disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 20 2008, 16h32

soundamus

Here it is:
    http://www.soundamus.net/

I use the Amazon web service to find album releases for artists that the user has listened two five or more times. I query the US, UK, and FR sites, taking the earliest release date from the three. I could add CA, DE, and JP, but the first three cover the releases that I am personally interested in.

There is a bit of noise in the feeds. First, there are some problems matching albums between the three amazon sites, resulting in the occasional duplicate album or an album that was actually first released earlier than indicated. For example, my feed has the release Madlib - "Yesterday's Universe" from amazon.uk, which was released over the summer in the US, but under the artist Yesterday's New Quintet. There are also special editions, box sets, DVD versions, best of's, etc. (users of the group I Still Buy CDs might enjoy this). These problems are not difficult to solve, but it is also not difficult to press delete once in a while.

If I didn't have a day job, there are number of other things I would add to this. For one, it would be nice to add sources for getting mp3 versions of the releases. iTunes has a comprehensive feed of it's new releases (thanks emayoh for sharing the link) as does eMusic. It would also be cool to show blogs matching the releases, as you can occasionally find a download of the promo version long before the official release (to preview before buying, of course).

I thank the mods for motivating me with their pessimism. This was actually really easy to put together. It is not perfect but will keep me satisfied until last.fm provides their own. Feedback is welcome via personal message.

• ewanhale disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 20 2008, 17h08
    Nice work.

• DFA1979 disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 20 2008, 21h00
    That looks and sounds pretty good. I'll take a look at it properly when I have more time.

I thank the mods for motivating me with their pessimism.
    I assume this means I'm allowed to take credit for it? ;)

• It works great for me with just one slight glitch. Most of the new releases it found for me were spot on (with a few re-releases and remastered versions which is to be expected) but there it also had two Kasabian t-shirts (see the feed here) which looked a bit odd among the CDs! Is there any way to filter the Amazon feed to only return music releases?

• mattgcn disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 20 2008, 21h27
    One small gripe with adding albums- I typically listen to albums by artists long before they're actually added. Could a system be implemented where, if an album is not added, a user could submit with a form verifiable proof (ie: links to official site, official store and tracklist, evidence that several people are scrobbling it) that the album has, in fact, been released? It really blows to have an album I listened to extensively after its release (Such as The Else, Dinosaurchestra and The Battle Royale's "Wake Up, Thunderbabe" (yet to be added) and then have it have little-to-no impact on your album charts over time.

We are each a beautiful snowflake that will melt in hell.
  • Man that's awesome. Must have taken you years of toiling in the darkness to do, since last.fm couldn't! I don't know how big you want to make this, but a nice feature that would save me 5 more seconds would be to be able to add the cds I'm interested in onto my google calendar. What I mean is after you feed me every possible album to be release, I check the ones I want and it adds that to the calendar. Nothing I can't do manually but still :)

• behlert disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 21 2008, 10h20
    it also had two Kasabian t-shirts (see the feed here) which looked a bit odd among the CDs! Is there any way to filter the Amazon feed to only return music releases?

That does look odd. I already ask Amazon strictly for music releases... it actually says that the t-shirts are CDs. You can see on the Amazon page, here, product details give Audio CD, Number of Disks: 1. I guess it shows that Amazon's data is not as clean as I would hope for.

• behlert said:
    it also had two Kasabian t-shirts (see the feed here) which looked a bit odd among the CDs! Is there any way to filter the Amazon feed to only return music releases?

That does look odd. I already ask Amazon strictly for music releases... it actually says that the t-shirts are CDs. You can see on the Amazon page, here, product details give Audio CD, Number of Disks: 1. I guess it shows that Amazon's data is not as clean as I would hope for.

Maybe make a filter against 't-shirt' in the title field? Because I got a shirt in mine as well, but it's not that important really :p

• I wonder what data you are using. I have several albums in your feed by artists that have managed to get into my radio once or twice. Or that are totally unknown to me (although that too can be becaue they managed to slip unnoticed in a radio-stream).
    Furthermore, and I stated that before, I do miss all sorts of upcoming releases by artists/labels I listen to, but who release through their own website, or smaller webshops. Since you stated it yourself already, I am not going to be bothered by the fact that I get the same album three times.

I think, all in all this tool is nice enough for the more general taste, or the bigger releases. It does however miss the smaller artists... and that happens to be the artists I tend to spend my money on.

Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
    • behlert disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 21 2008, 14h03
    I have several albums in your feed by artists that have managed to get into my radio once or twice.
    I take any artist that you have played five or more times in your complete history (every available weekly artist chart). If you often listen to radio-streams I suppose it is very likely that an unkown artist slipped in five times.

I do miss all sorts of upcoming releases by artists/labels I listen to, but who release through their own website, or smaller webshops.
    I would be very interested if you would share some of those artists/labels. For my own profile, I am rather pleased by the coverage of smaller labels. For example, I get releases from JRK off a vey small San Fransico based label (I was the first listener on last.fm), and Mia Doi Todd who is releasing under her own personal label.

• adamtilt disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jan 21 2008, 15h11
    That is an awesome tool. I was just thinking that I needed something along these lines and low and behold - you deliver. I reckon this tool should be more widely publicised as its surely something that a lot of people will find very useful.

• behlert said:
    I have several albums in your feed by artists that have managed to get into my radio once or twice.
    I take any artist that you have played five or more times in your complete history (every available weekly artist chart). If you often listen to radio-streams I suppose it is very likely that an unkown artist slipped in five times.

I do miss all sorts of upcoming releases by artists/labels I listen to, but who release through their own website, or smaller webshops.
    I would be very interested if you would share some of those artists/labels. For my own profile, I am rather pleased by the coverage of smaller labels. For example, I get releases from JRK off a vey small San Fransico based label (I was the first listener on last.fm), and Mia Doi Todd who is releasing under her own personal label.

Bjork's label 'one little indian' sometimes has releases that are only on their site, such as Bjork's 2 new singles. http://www.indian.co.uk/
    I really don't know of anything else of their's that's not on amazon though...

• Re: soundamus

behlert said:
    Here it is:
    http://www.soundamus.net/

I use the Amazon web service to find album releases for artists that the user has listened two five or more times. I query the US, UK, and FR sites, taking the earliest release date from the three. I could add CA, DE, and JP, but the first three cover the releases that I am personally interested in.

That's a nice feed; definitely better than the amazon and iTunes ones.

I'd like to see the US, UK, and JP sites. I don't know how difficult coding that is but perhaps its possible to make the different amazon domains checkboxes under the username entry. So that like the iTunes feed a user could customize the feed before generating it.

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• behlert disse...
    • Assinante
    • Jan 22 2008, 19h38

Re: Re: soundamus

adamtilt said:
    That is an awesome tool. I was just thinking that I needed something along these lines and low and behold - you deliver. I reckon this tool should be more widely publicised as its surely something that a lot of people will find very useful.

I'm glad someone else feels the same way as I do. Spread the word...

Kerensky97 said: I don't know how difficult coding that is but perhaps its possible to make the different amazon domains checkboxes under the username entry.
    That's a great idea and not at all hard to implement. I'll think about it for a future update.

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.