Fórum » Feedback and Ideas

Why isn't there a dedicated music forum here?

• Why isn't there a dedicated music forum here?

I've never understood why Last.fm hasn't tried to make itself more of a one-stop destination for discussing music.

The internet is full of discussion forums for music, but the vast majority of them have an emphasis on one particular band or genre. Why can't Last.fm add a section called "Music" to the forums, with sub-boards for the most popular genres? Right now, these kinds of topics are shoved into "General Discussion," which is messy and hard to keep up with.

The way I see it, Last.fm already has a HUGE advantage compared to other music boards when it comes to building a community --- unique and highly personal data on users' real listening habits. There's no reason it shouldn't be the #1 place for music geeks to come together and talk about what's exciting in every genre.

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 7 2012, 20h40
    That's partly what the "group forums" are for -- many bands or genres have their own group forums. I know it's a bit confusing and difficult to find, but I guess last.fm only publicise the support forums on their home page, not the group forums. If there isn't a suitable group then anyone can make one after a search to make sure one doesn't already exist. E&OE etc.

http://www.last.fm/community/groups

• Babs_05 disse...
    • Moderador
    • Mai 7 2012, 22h59
    The whole website is dedicated to music and is already a one-stop destination for discussing music. As wooity says, above, groups are the best places for this, you can find them via the link above, and also on artist pages, under Groups, where you can see which groups they have been connected to, e.g. Damon Albarn is connected with 58 groups http://www.last.fm/music/Damon+Albarn/+groups

Follow discussions and new posts via your Reply Tracker (find it via the Posts link, next to your avatar on your profile page).

See which groups have new posts by browsing the Recently Active page http://www.last.fm/community/groups/active

The General Discussion forum is exactly that, a forum for topics for general discussion. Discussions on specific bands or genres are discouraged. Activity can be quite high sometimes and it can move quite fast, given it's a global forum within easy reach. I don't think there's a general topic on music that hasn't been raised so far, but if there isn't one currently live, you are welcome to create a thread. However, bear in mind General Discussion has its own crowd of regulars, if you're looking for music geeks to geek out with over something in particular, groups really are your best bet.

Your idea to create sub-boards on genres is a good one, except we all know not everyone agrees on genre terms and there is a lot of music that incorporates a wide range of styles which defies categorisation, and that's before we come to sui generis which is pretty much standalone. A message board like this would end up with people arguing over terms and not progress much further. It happens far too often across the website for it not to be considered a likelihood.

This idea has come up a lot over the years and has been much discussed, both here in the forums by site users and amongst the team, and the conclusion has always been things are better the way they are. That said, nothing is written in stone and all feedback is reviewed constantly.

• Thanks for the feedback.

I suppose you're right that this would invite endless squabbling over what "makes" a genre. It's unfortunate that it has to be that way, but it's a fact of life I guess.

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.