Fórum » Development Discussion

I worked on a Pandora solution

• Gabek disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 3 2006, 6h13

I worked on a Pandora solution

Due to the conversation over at the thread http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/49441 I started to think about how to make http://www.pandora.com submit tracks to Last.fm.

To make a long story short (more detail over at the above thread) I put up a usable web interface to do such a thing that you are all free to try.

If you go to http://www.real-ity.com/pandora/ you can type in your last.fm credentials and the pandora screen will pop up. At that point do whatever it is you would normally do in pandora. On the side will be a little window that will tell you what track it's going to submit, and when it finally did submit it.

This solution is with a coctail of javascript, PHP, and Perl. So if anyone else runs thier own server that would like me to package up what I did let me know and I can get it to them. They will need access to install perl modules and have a minimum version of perl 5.8.7 running.

I will say this upfront, your last.fm password gets sent in plaintext. So if you don't trust me or whatever, then you shouldn't use it.

If people decide this is worthwhile i'll put some more energy into cleaning it up, adding some links and making it pretty. I know where's operational things I would like to change as well (if you pause the stream and restart that same song it may try to resubmit it for instance).

Thanks for listening.

• uporo disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 3 2006, 8h42
    huh! that works, you´re an ace!

• Working great, thanks a lot!

Want to listen to your playlists on last.fm? Have a look at TagBar
    • piqquam disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 3 2006, 13h22
    I haven't used Pandora that much, but with this, I definitely use it more.

Edit: It sometimes (always?) submits a song even if Skip is pressed in few seconds. Also, I'd really like it to demand the full listening of a song before submitting or otherwise people will "cheat" with it.

"Once a lumberjack was about to chop down a tree, when he noticed a heart carved on it, with two names inside. Putting away his axe, he sawed down the tree instead. The point of that story escapes me, although six months later the lumberjack was fined for teaching a dwarf Roman numerals." -Woody Allen
    • Gabek disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 3 2006, 16h16
    I took a shot at the skip thing, hopeully that should be fixed now. I couldn't fully test "for sure" because Pandora said I hit my max of "next" for the hour :P With the pause thing i'm working on that as well.

In regards to listening to a whole song before it's submitted, I don't think that will be possible. Unfortunately Pandora sends the same calls when you hit the end of a song or skip the song. Either way it just knows "end this song, next song please." Same thing with pause, when you hit play after it being paused it sends the same calls as if it were the beginning of a new song.

• josquin disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 3 2006, 18h49
    hey, that is totally cool.

I am very impressed with your company, its stepped-on doughnuts, and the dogs of freedom I have met. Mad Lib Allstars | Plotters? | Last.fm Research
    • lbf disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 3 2006, 19h02
    I can't wait to go home and try this. Kudos to you, internet person!

I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
    What demon possessed me that I behaved so well? - H.D. Thoreau, Walden
  • Bug: it seems to have a problem with special characters. It truncated the artist Kruder & Dorfmeister to just Kruder.

Otherwise, good work.

close your mouth
    • uporo disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 5 2006, 6h55

Re:

Quoth closedmouth:
    Bug: it seems to have a problem with special characters. It truncated the artist Kruder & Dorfmeister to just Kruder.

Otherwise, good work.

that´s probably pandodra bug, and not in the plugin.
    or they just don´t have that specific band

• It's possible, although the page actually had "Kruder & Dorfmeister" showing while I was listening.

close your mouth
    • groupy disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 5 2006, 23h36
    thank you so much! I've always wanted to use Pandora but I also really want to keep tabs on what I listen to, so this is absolutely fabulous.

• Thanks for doing this. You're a credit to mankind.

*Edit
    It doesn't work for me. Only the first track I listen to when I open Pandora are put up for submission and even that one is never submitted to last.fm Could this be because I'm on a Mac?

• Gabek disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 3h16
    Hey Grady. I'm on a Mac as well (Well PC and Mac, but primarily Mac) and it's been working. I'll check it out. Maybe something I changed broke something.
    ---
    Well I just went through a few tracks, and it seems to be working OK. Do you have javascript turned on? Maybe try with a different browser? I havn't tried with Safari, I should do that. I'm a Firefox, Camino guy. I tested on IE on the PC as well.

I'll also look at the special characters issue probably tomorrow. I should be able to fix it up.

Thanks,
    Gabe

• -VVV- disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 11h10
    Great work Gabe! The time before the song gets submitted should be a lot longer thou. When I'm deciding do I really wanna hear the whole song it already gets submitted. I would prefer something like a minute and a half.

Nnnörd
    • Gabek disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 14h05
    A minute and a half works for me. Done!

• terpio disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 14h54
    Thanks Gabek :D

Now when Last.fm have temporally problems with streaming (happen a lot lately :( ) I can switch to Pandora and still keep track of my music taste.

I wonder: what your web interface do when server for submitting is offline?

Edit: Well Pandora has some huge problems with chars like & ( or ' :( I have listened to band Hootie & The Blowfish but it submits only Hootie. Another thing: I have listened to Sting and his song titled Epilogue (Nothing 'Bout Me) and your web interface showed message - The following has been submitted to Last.FM but it hasn't.

• Gabek disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 15h41
    Terpio,

Makes sense. I'll take a look at the special characters thing today.

• terpio disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 18h08
    Can You submit anything now with web interface? Because it stopped working for me :( Practically it worked only first time when I used it. I have been listening to last.fm for some time and now wanted to use pandora by real-ity.com but it's not submitting tracks. On page it shows "submitted" message but my recent tracks on last.fm don't show new tracks :( What happened? Restarting Firefox didn't help either.

Edit: Just checked - submitting with Last.fm Player is working fine.

• -VVV- disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 18h25
    Yeah, mine stopped submitting all the sudden too. And I've used it several times so it ain't a try-one-time thing.

Nnnörd
    • Gabek disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 18h44
    My apologies. It should again be submitting.

• terpio disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 6 2006, 20h23
    And It is :) No apologies are needed - it's new development so there surely will be some tings to work on. I think everybody here are very grateful for all work you do on this pandora-last.fm tingy :D It must be time consuming so again thank you very much for it :)

Offtopic: My writing in English isn't very good (I should mention this before ;) ) so sorry for all mistakes I might make.

Edit: Gabek you must be working on this charts problem right now :) and You are close because it's just submitted to my profile track Metropolis \(Acoustic Version\) :) Well there will be some profile cleaning in order for me but I'm happy that your web interface is working :)

• Gabek disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 7 2006, 0h40
    Well, I got hootie & the blowfish and herman's hermits to submit (I couldn't think of any other artists to test special characters. My friends are totally going to laugh at my profile!) so I think we're in good shape for now. Please let me know if any other special characters (or anything for that matter) throw problems in.

Thanks for letting me know about this!

Gabe

• terpio disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 7 2006, 13h10
    It's working perfectly now :D I have spend some time on pandora and real-ity submitted correctly artists and tracks such as:

Phil Collins - I Cannot Believe It's True
    Lansing-Dreiden - Locks In Shadows
    Agnetha Fältskog - Man
    Céline Dion - A New Day Has Come (radio remix)
    Sting - Fragile (Live)
    Howie Day - You & A Promise (Demo)

And your web interface even correct Pandora.com and submits artists like Agnetha Fältskog and not Agnetha Faltskog (that's how it show this artist on pandora) or Céline Dion and not Celine Dion :)

I'm still waiting for some tracks with char ? but it will take a while as I have used all my "next" :>

I'm sure it will work perfectly too :) Thank you so much :D

• -VVV- disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 7 2006, 13h41
    No apologies needed as terpio said. People will understand that this is a new feature and they will appreciate all the work you've done.

And the "plugin" itself doesnt' correct the artist names. I'm not sure where exactly does the correction happens but if I listen to Mamas and and Papas on Winamp, it submits as The Mamas & The Papas just like artist names on Japanese etc will submit correctly like Sheena Ringo becomes 椎名林檎.

Nnnörd
    • terpio disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 7 2006, 14h07
    Well maybe it's corrected by musicbrainz.org (I think I have read somewhere that last.fm is using it). No matter :) Glad it work that way :)

And I have feature request too: can message box with information about submitting be cleared with every song "skiping" in pandora? It will be more clear that way. And lazy people like me ;) wouldn't have to scroll that box often than necessary :D

Offtopic: My "track played" count in last.fm profile stopped updating :( Are yours working ok? Edit: I have just find answer for that: "Cluster 4: Online - There is a slight delay with Cluster 4 so tracks played counters and charts will be delayed. Please be patient."

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.