Fórum » Development Discussion

Scrobbling 2.0: Changes since submissions 1.2.1

• Scrobbling 2.0: Changes since submissions 1.2.1

The Scrobbling API 2.0 is the successor to the Submissions 1.2.1 protocol.

Here is an overview of the changes.

* Requests are sent to the same URL as the rest of the Last.fm web services (ws.audioscrobbler.com) using the methods track.updateNowPlaying and track.scrobble.
    * There is no handshake step, instead the authentication mechanism uses a Session Key just like the rest of the Last.fm web services (http://www.last.fm/api/authentication).
    * Clients use api keys in requests, so do not need a "clientid".
    * Responses are now in XML (or JSON) and are consistent with the rest of the Last.fm web services.
    * Errors are now much more informative.
    * Key request parameters are echoed in the responses.
    * Filtered requests now return messages indicating why they were ignored (these aren't errors).
    * Meta data corrections are returned in the responses when they are found.
    * All client developers can now set their scrobbler name, homepage and icon at http://www.last.fm/api/account

If using the old "basic auth" in an existing submissions 1.2.1 client, see this forum post for migration tips:
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21716/_/656492

bleh
    Editado por roserpens em Nov 17 2010, 12h00
    • Tecfan disse...
    • Event Moderator
    • Nov 9 2010, 15h14
    "* Meta data corrections are returned in the responses when they are found."

is this auto-corrections?

nice changes and congratulations with finishing it :) maybe client 2 is not far

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • They are the same corrections that are used for redirects on the site. So yes they are auto-corrections in that sense. They should not be used to correct id3 tags automatically without the user approving them though, so I consider them just plain old corrections :)

bleh
    • Tecfan disse...
    • Event Moderator
    • Nov 18 2010, 16h07
    Two things: the scrobble condition says: "And the track has been played for at least half its duration, or for 4 minutes (whichever occurs earlier.)", but in the official Android app this can be turned down far under 50%, will this be fixed?

and:
    why no geo-location fields?

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • ampjuke disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 18 2010, 19h14
    Hey. Thanks for the 'warning' about the change to 2.0. Keep up the good work.

Will have to look further into possible impact in relation to the code I maintain.

Anyway: thanks for letting us 'scrobbling developers' use the API (on occasions: rather extensively!).

• fhen disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 18 2010, 20h29
    I am working on converting my client 'mpdas' to the new protocol. One question arises which might be in relation to the error (Invalid method signature supplied) I'm getting when trying to update the track.

When generating the method signature, am I supposed to use the parameters in original form or as urlencoded strings?

Cheers,
    henrik.

EDIT: One has to use the non-urlencoded parameters. This wasn't quite obvious in the protocol description. Maybe it should be added?

• Thanks for the tip fhen!! You just saved me a ton of troubleshooting time! :)

-James

• fhen disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 19 2010, 16h58
    You are very welcome! This had me confused for quite a while as well :)

• I'm converting a web app from 1.2.1 to 2.0 and am finding my scrobble attempts are simply timing out in the browser.

Previously I did not have a registered client ID, I just used 'tst'. Could this be causing a problem now?

My API account is under a non-commercial license. Do I need to upgrade? I tried emailing partners@last.fm but have got no response yet.

• scrobbling

I'm not an expert in this guys, but I have a basic idea about scrobbling. Sorry for the "off topic". I don't have too many music in my library yet, but i use last.fm a lot to discover new tracks.
    My problem is that last.fm scrobbles, what i listen to on the last.fm radio. I love the scrobbling feature to help last.fm recommend me new music or an event and to share the music, that i LIKE with the community.

But the music that i LISTEN TO on last.fm is NOT (always) the SAME as what i LIKE.

In this case last.fm can not perfectly reccommend me new music.
    So maybe if you could add a button or something to the site and the last.fm client, wich disables scrobbling from the last.fm radio, it would improve my recommendations channel. I don't think i'm alone with this. If there's an other solution for my problem (excluding deleting the artists from my library one by one or disabling and enabling scrobbling time to time),please tell me then. Also sorry for my english, if i was not clear.
    Thanks for the answer.

• @Tecfan being able to set it below 50% on the android app is an oversight, I've mentioned it to the client devs and they're looking at fixing it in the next release.

@jonfrost43 if you have having timing out issues, could you please start a new thread specific to this issue? It should contain specifics about the parameters you are sending in the request, the url you are using, and any response data you are getting, ie: headers.

@danielpeger those features already exist in the flash player there is a button to turn off scrobbling, I'm not sure about the desktop client, this queery should be in the support forum.

bleh
    • xcmy123 disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 12 2010, 8h25

wholesale handbags and t-shirt

[spam]

Editado por roserpens em Dez 20 2010, 18h32
    • joeraman disse...
    • Usuário
    • Fev 24 2011, 8h06

[spam]

[spam]

Editado por Knapster01 em Fev 25 2011, 10h21
  • [spam]

[spam]

Editado por Knapster01 em Mar 28 2011, 10h07
  • [spam]

[spam]

Editado por Ziomek2000 em Mai 3 2011, 8h14
  • [spam]

[spam]

Editado por Ziomek2000 em Mai 3 2011, 8h12
Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.