Fórum » Development Discussion

Scrobbling Real Life

• kauelima disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 5 2012, 14h37

Scrobbling Real Life

Hey! How everyone's doing today?

I have a dark idea and wanted to clear this with some real developers! First of all, i've never touched Last.fm API and will start my studies on the development only when my ideia is ready, so this is all about possibilities :)

In an event, there will be some music going on, is it possible for the antendees to scroble this ambient music?

Some ideas i though about were the following:

1. A terminal (ipad? computer?) were people would check-in with their last.fm accounts and the list of music would be then sent to their last.fm accounts.

2. An app working almost as the terminal, people would check-in to my event then get the stream os the music into their last.fm accounts.

3. (DISCLAIMER: This is expensive as hell but also cool as hell, the brainstorm accepts everything) RFIDs distributed to those who previously registered their accounts would register the music tha is playing in that ambient, on the way out you pass trough a "portal" that reads this RFID and sends the specific music that you heard to your account =D

Any more ideas? Any cheaper ideas? =P

Thanks in advance! and let the brainstorm begin!

• JRoar disse...
    • Alumni
    • Mar 6 2012, 15h36
    This actually sounds like a really fun idea.
    Set up a PC Terminal at a concert, let users sign in with their last.fm account, automatically attend the event and scrobble the played music. Display profiles of signed in and attending users on some kind of wall display?

Only problem I see is with authentication/security. I wouldn't want to insert my password into an untrusted software at a public computer. If you use web authentication you will have to expose users to a web browser, too. You can't have somebody to stand next to and overlook the terminal the whole time either.

• kauelima disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 7 2012, 14h38
    JRoar said:
    This actually sounds like a really fun idea.
    Set up a PC Terminal at a concert, let users sign in with their last.fm account, automatically attend the event and scrobble the played music. Display profiles of signed in and attending users on some kind of wall display?

Only problem I see is with authentication/security. I wouldn't want to insert my password into an untrusted software at a public computer. If you use web authentication you will have to expose users to a web browser, too. You can't have somebody to stand next to and overlook the terminal the whole time either.

Yeah that's the basic idea =P i'm thinking on how to get it going with less expense possible =P

The terminal would probably be on the entrance besides the hostess of the event, but yeah, it may take some time to get used with the idea but i think it may work... if i try something i'll post my experiences here :)

• JRoar disse...
    • Alumni
    • Mar 7 2012, 20h43
    Another idea: deploy a web application so people can grant your app access either from home or from their smartphone when at the venue (one could still have a terminal as a backup solution and information hub).

Keep us posted, I love the idea and if you need any help let me know :-)

• Good thinking.

Editado por Babs_05 em Mar 9 2012, 18h53
    • tburny disse...
    • Forum Moderator
    • Mar 10 2012, 22h39
    I think it's a nice idea :) One possible improvement: Make it available for smartphones, too :) Poeple wouldn't have to trust the internals of a public 3rd party PC terminal then :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.