Fórum » Web Site Support

New global tags are not playable

• New global tags are not playable

foreverautumn Staff said...
    15 Oct 2008, 22:35
    There are indeed some issues around global tag pages at the moment, which we're investigating; one where the radio station of a quite new global tag doesn't become available to all users, and one where the count doesn't go up, as described here.
    I wanted to start a new, more focused thread on the previous topic of global tags that were created after the changeover not being playable.

This issue applies only to non-subscribers. Subscribers can still listen to newly created tag stations. This seems to be a bug, rather than by design.

I think this is a MAJOR issue, and would like to see how many people out there agree.

Please share the tags that you've made that are not simply not playable.

For reference, here's the previous thread on this topic:
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/467554

• As far as I know it affects all global tags that were created in the last couple of months, I've commented on a few threads about this in the last weeks.

We're aware of the problem and are looking into it, unfortunately it's a more complicated issue and an easy fix isn't possible at the moment. I'll update you when there are news, sorry for this inconvenience.

• foreverautumn said:

We're aware of the problem and are looking into it, unfortunately it's a more complicated issue and an easy fix isn't possible at the moment. I'll update you when there are news, sorry for this inconvenience.

Thank you for the quick response and apology. I guess we'll be praying for you guys then to get it back on track as soon as humanly possible.

• fmera disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 7 2008, 10h52
    @musicgodlything: does the bug not affect subscribers? doesn't seem fair. it's quite discombobulating if you ask me...

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
  • fmera said:
    @musicgodlything: does the bug not affect subscribers? doesn't seem fair. it's quite discombobulating if you ask me...

Quite. The part that is disconcerting is that this is a known issue, but it's not on the list of known issues. Perplexing, even.

• “A Last.fm A Day Helps You Work, Rest and Play.” bump

• intpmann disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 10 2008, 4h50
    Bump

• fmera disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 10 2008, 7h08
    musicgodlything said:
    The part that is disconcerting is that this is a known issue, but it's not on the list of known issues. Perplexing, even.

that's always been a known issue. it's a conundrum that's discombobulated me for the longest time.

bump.

incidentally, i'm praying that my christmas global tag will be working before christmas. this christmas, that is.

there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
  • fmera said:
    musicgodlything said:
    The part that is disconcerting is that this is a known issue, but it's not on the list of known issues. Perplexing, even.

that's always been a known issue. it's a conundrum that's discombobulated me for the longest time.

The 'known issues' thread isn't meant to be an up-to-the-minute reflection of our internal bug tracking system, nor is it meant as a comprehensive list of known problems. Instead, think of it as an adjunct to the FAQ - a list of the biggest/most prominent¹ issues.

¹ Where 'prominent' means 'affects the most people'.

• As acreature is saying, the fact that this isn't in the known issues thread doesn't make this problem an unknown issue. It became a known issue in that moment it was reported and aknowledged, and I've said several times now that we're aware of it and are looking into it.

This problem only affects new global tags that were created in the last couple of months, not all global tags, so of course as annoying as it is for you it only affects some users, which doesn't make it less of a problem but it's not necessarily something that everyone needs to be told about.

That said, the issue is being looked into, but it's not the easiest fix. I'll let you know here when there are news and I hope there'll be some soon.

• Also, just to mention that tagger/tags stats at the top of each global radio page created before the site changeover have not changed since July 2008 even though there's been heaps of activity on global tags since that time. An example here.

• aniaki disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 11 2008, 9h59
    acreature said:
    The 'known issues' thread isn't meant to be an up-to-the-minute reflection of our internal bug tracking system, nor is it meant as a comprehensive list of known problems. Instead, think of it as an adjunct to the FAQ - a list of the biggest/most prominent¹ issues.

And new tags not working for non-subscribers isn't the most people?

I would have thought one of the key parts of LastFM is making tags.

We walk forever
    And nothing ever changes
    But we won't give in
  • foreverautumn said:
    . . . but it's not necessarily something that everyone needs to be told about.
    Wow. What can I say to that without being antagonistic or sarcastic?

Uh, that's incredulous?

• What I mean with this is that there are thousands of tag radio stations out there that are working fine, that is all those that were created before this happened, and this problem affects those stations that were created in the last couple of months. There are many more users who listen to these older stations and don't have any problems, so you don't necessarily have to tell them about problems they don't have. Hence I didn't put it into the "known issues" thread. (That's the case with some other issues as well, not just this one.) It's still a known issue and we're aware that it's an annoying problem for although not all, but quite some users.

Back on topic, the issue is being looked into again just now, so hopefully there'll be good news soon!

• As we know,
    There are known knowns.
    There are things we know we know.
    We also know
    There are known unknowns.
    That is to say
    We know there are some things
    We do not know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns,
    The ones we don't know
    We don't know.

I totally get where you're coming from, but please understand that since the switchover, there has been a plethora of things that unless we were told about them, took a long time to find them or figure them out.

I took me close to 2 weeks to get that in order to play through the client like I always had, I had to change something in my WEBSITE settings to play music through the client. Why did it take so long? Because we were not told about this.

I see this tag issue not being advertised of just another example of users having to stumble around in the dark.

Yes, we have the discussion threads to inform others about the issues associated with this site, and I'll give it to you that not that many people seem to be "bothered" by this as their animated gif's not working, but so much of what last.fm is is built around working tags.

Someone decided that it doesn't merit being put on the known issues list, and the message that this sends is that last.fm ain't too concerned about something that we are very concerned about.

It is good news that it's being worked on.

• Tecfan disse...
    • Event Moderator
    • Nov 11 2008, 15h53
    acreature said:

problem is, if it was in the know issues thread, there would be less topics about this, and people could find out the status of this problem without using that terrible search function. I think than something similar to Bugzilla (public) would be nice.

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • Tecfan said:
    problem is, if it was in the know issues thread, there would be less topics about this, and people could find out the status of this problem without using that terrible search function. I think than something similar to Bugzilla (public) would be nice.

There ya go.

• hello foreverautumn

having been forwarded by you to this thread, please note that, cocurrent with pixieguts (see above), the tag i am using is not new, but it's stats have been stuck since the summer. see the vitamin b12.

look forward to any progress in solving this problem

love alasdair

xx

• we created a tag for festival - with an idea to tag all the artists who were playing at it (like ). looking forward to the fix : )

• I got an idea. Free subscriptions for all until this gets fixed.

• It's a bit weird that the bugs only affects non-subscribers. I mean it's technically funny - but I still want to think it's not a strategy of last.fm to make people subscribe...

Now if you think about it, subscribers can complain if the service doesn't work, because they paid. Non-subs can complain but not really, because they haven't paid anything.... They can just leave.

So in the current situation nobody can really complain...
    (I don't say that because i'm a subscriber, and dont want to make a debate - I know it's terribly annoying)

• pumpkinlll said:
    It's a bit weird that the bugs only affects non-subscribers. I mean it's technically funny - but I still want to think it's not a strategy of last.fm to make people subscribe...

No, this is of course not supposed to make subscribers happy and non-subscribers unhappy or subscribe. The problem that we're looking at here is a bug, it's not intended in any way.
    It's not so weird though that being a subscriber or not makes a difference here, as you know there are some radio features that are only available for subscribers. Global tag radio is a type of radio station that's (supposed to be) available for all users, so that these new tag radios here don't work for non-subscribers isn't intended at all, but that there's a difference between subscribers and non-subscribers is the reason behind it; it's simply a bug, no mean intentions of course.

• fmera disse...
    • Usuário
    • Nov 13 2008, 14h18
    pumpkinlll said:
    Now if you think about it, subscribers can complain if the service doesn't work, because they paid. Non-subs can complain but not really, because they haven't paid anything.... They can just leave.

i beg your pardon?

1. non-subs have ads to put up with, while you don't. (whether the more ingenious ones circumvent it with adblock or whatnot is another matter.)

2. non-subs scrobble just as you do, and a cut of the royalties or whatnot (however minuscule) goes to last.fm, the artists, labels or whatnot.

3. non-subs contribute in kind to the site just as you do - if not more - by way of user-created content (eg wikis, image uploads, constructive input and feedback, or whatnot). whether the content is original or simply the import of content under creative commons licenses, the gnu free documentation license, or whatnot is another matter.

4. your subscription (minuscule as it is) buys you the several perks that non-subs do not enjoy. that is what separates us from you, to be absolutely clear.

global tags have always - afaik - been a feature available to all last.fm users.

• foreverautumn said: Global tag radio is a type of radio station that's (supposed to be) available for all users, . . . it's simply a bug, . . .
    Love that (supposed to be) part. Again, here's to a speedy recovery.

"I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Last.fm.”

For and at.

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.